Interview: Jason Bowen of ‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical’

During the holiday season, the city of Chicago is filled with festive theatrical productions. Christmas is imbued with a special nostalgia that Broadway in Chicago is bringing to life this winter. “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical” brings the classic film that we all know and love to the stage and provides something truly special for adults and children alike. The DePaulia had the opportunity to speak with cast member Jason Bowens to learn more about the show.

The DePaulia: Can you tell me a little bit about the production in general?

Jason Bowen: It’s a live-action version of the Christmas classic that we all knew as kids and it’s really true to the show. It brings back a lot of memories. I remember watching it as a kid every year. What’s nice about it is that, as an adult, you can really see what the message is about. When you’re a kid it’s hard to look past the spectacle of it all. Especially in today’s society with kids, it’s really nice. It’s almost more tangible. I feel like live theater for kids is more educational and is more of a well-rounded experience than watching T.V., you know? I think that is something positive about it.

The DePaulia: So it sounds like this really provides something for both children and adults. That is wonderful!

Jason Bowen: Yeah, definitely. It’s Rudolph, so people associate that with kids. I run a theater company in the city, too, where we do puppetry and it’s amazing what you can do to affect an audience with a puppet. It’s harder, sometimes, for people to relate to an actual actor onstage, but when it is done in a way that is more object-based, anyone can relate to it. That’s a great part about it.

The DePaulia: Is there anything unique about the fact that this is a “holiday” show? Does this provide a different sentiment and a different set of expectations?

Jason Bowen: I love Christmas; I love holidays in general. I think Christmas in general is just a different spirit of time of year. You can go see “Christmas Carol” and you can go see things like that. I really believe in that. I really believe that theater is for everybody and Christmas is a time for giving, and I think that a lot of theaters could take note of that and be in the spirit of giving and the spirit of the holidays. People need theater and they need something that is acceptable to them. Making this where a pair can actually bring their kids to a show that they can actually afford is amazing and that is the great part about it, especially something as iconic and classic as this. So many people that do theater in the city, it is unacceptable whether it is content or price. I really believe in theater for everybody, no matter what, and it should be something that everyone can have a good time at.

The DePaulia: Can you tell me a little bit about the character(s) who you portray in the show?

Jason Bowen: I play Boss Elf. Whenever anyone asks me who that is I remind him or her that when “Hermie” says that he wants to be a dentist, I am the guy that yells at him and tells him that it is impossible. I think Boss Elf is kind of stuck in the conformity of what his life is like. The toys have to be made all year and then the toys have to be given to the children and that is the way it is supposed to be. A lot of people get stuck in a rut in their life. I look at people on the train a lot and they are kind of in a monotonous daze going to work at 8 in the morning. I am very fortunate to get to do what I love to do and dress up in costumes and sing and dance onstage. I think that Boss Elf isn’t there yet. In the show he realizes that it’s O.K. to be different, that Hermie can do what he wants to do and he can be an elf and he can also be a dentist if that is what he wants to do. I am also the voice of Moonracer the Lion that will fly through the world and look for misfit toys and bring them back to Misfit Toyland. One of Moonracer’s lines is “The Island of Misfit Toys is not for living creatures, it’s only for toys.” I rescue the toys and bring them there until I can find children that love them.

The DePaulia: What is your very favorite aspect of being a part of this production?

Jason Bowen: I like the overall message that it is ok to be different. You eventually will find your path, you know? I’ve been involved in theater my whole life. My brothers were good at sports and ran and swam and played football and enjoyed that, but it just wasn’t for me. I would have much rather been tap-dancing or playing the piano but I wasn’t really given the opportunity until I got a little older and that is all I’ve ever really wanted to do. I think that nowadays it’s a different situation where kids actually have the option to explore those avenues and what they want to do and who they are and hopefully, in more cases than not, they are not ridiculed as much. It’s still hard being a kid and I definitely wouldn’t want to go back to being a kid again, but I think that we’re a society now where you’ve got to jump on the right side of history and the right side of acceptance. I think that overall, that is really what the show is about. Obviously, it’s about Christmas, but it is taking two iconic characters and showing them that they’re different and that it is O.K. to be different. If we were all the same it would be totally boring.

The DePaulia: If you could tell your audience one thing before they come to see the show, what would it be?

Jason Bowen: It’s a feast for the eyes. It’s a visual spectacle, but ultimately it’s a message that everyone should know. Hopefully they will take something with them for the holidays and make it a holiday tradition to come to the show.

“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical”will be at Broadway Playhouse until Jan. 5.