Third loss for DePaul men’s soccer

DePaul dropped another overtime heartbreaker as Manny Andrade’s golden goal sunk the Blue Demons 1-0 in a double-overtime loss to No. 23 Providence.

The Blue Demons played close all game, with each team getting several chances to score in regulation. However, it would be the Friars who walked out victorious as the Demons’ first conference win continued to elude them.

“It was an even-played match and we had opportunities to win, which I was encouraged about,” head coach Craig Blazer said.

Providence barely missed a chance to go up in front early in the sixth minute. Freshman midfielder Julian Gressel fired a shot from the far side that banged off the post and back into play until it was eventually cleared by the DePaul back line.

Later in the half DePaul had a chance to score just before the half ended. Erik Rodriguez got a ball at the top of the box after an advantage call. His shot went wide and Providence sophomore defender Jeff Kilday was given a yellow card for bringing down a DePaul forward, which resulted in the advantage call.

The two teams went into the locker rooms tied at 0-0.

The Blue Demons had a good chance to score at the beginning of the second half. In the 50th minute, junior midfielder Thiago Ganancio got some space in the box, which brought out Providence junior goalkeeper Keasal Broome. He took a shot but it was deflected and easily cleared by the Friars, keeping the score level.

The Demons continued to impress offensively as the second half went on. Demon senior midfielder Art Garza fired a shot from approximately 30 yards out, which forced Broome to shove the ball over the bar, resulting in a Demons corner kick. They were not able to score off the corner.

The Demons had their best chance yet in the 82nd minute when junior forward Anthony Hunter got an open shot in the box. It took a spectacular save from Broome, forcing the ball out of bounds to keep the game level.

A couple of minutes later and DePaul got even closer to a goal. A free kick was taken by sophomore defender Jalen Harvey that banged off the crossbar, only a couple of inches too high. The rebound was headed toward goal by senior defender Jared Blincow but was saved by a diving Broome.

Despite their second-half chances the match would end in heartbreak for the Demons. With three minutes left to go in the second overtime, Gressel sent in a cross to a flying Manny Andrade, who headed the ball near post for the game-winner. It was his second goal of the year and it gave the win to Providence.

Despite the loss, head coach Craig Blazer was pleased with the team’s effort against another ranked opponent.

“Somebody’s got to put the ball in the net,” Blazer said. “If we can continue to play the way we’re playing hopefully somebody will step up and be able to finish.”

DePaul will look for their first conference win as they travel to take on Seton Hall Oct. 19 and go to Georgetown Oct. 23.