Get to know your editors: David Webber

Hey there! I’m David Webber and I’m the Sports Editor. I’m a senior journalism major at DePaul and will be graduating a bit early in March 2014.

I wanted to become a part of the paper because I felt it was the most logical step toward fortifying my resume and advancing my prospective career as a journalist. I always had the Sports Editor position in the back of my mind because I’m a sports nut and writing about them is one of my passions. I started out as the Assistant Sports Editor in 2012-2013 and I’m looking to learn even more before I enter the real world.

When I’m not working on the paper, I like hanging out with friends, eating food that would make most people diabetic in mere minutes, watching sports for dangerous amounts of time and looking at hats that I wish I had the money to buy.

On a Saturday night you’d probably find me at a bar with some friends or, if I’m not in the mood to go out, lying in bed with pizza and my true friend: Netflix. I live a generally sedentary life and I’m proud of it.

There are a lot of things I like about DePaul, but the best thing is the urban environment. A lot of my friends go to school in Virginia at traditional campuses like Virginia Tech or UVA, and I can’t get over how dull it seems there. In Chicago, you can go anywhere and do anything and if you’re smart, you won’t wreck your wallet. Also, my U-Pass is one of my best buds and makes traversing through the city second nature.

The best class I’ve taken at DePaul is my “American Humor” class, which was part of my sophomore seminar. I was lucky enough to grab this class and avoid something incredibly boring (sophomore seminar is, of course, required, so getting a good section is really difficult). My professor was amazing and the subject matter was absolute perfection. When you can go to class and laugh for 90 minutes, you know you’ve struck gold.

I love eating pizza while watching Netflix. Oh, I already said that. OK then, I love eating buffalo wings while watching the Redskins play.

I’m secretly obsessed with Elvis Presley. I always appreciated the King, but my roommate reintroduced me to him and I remembered that I just can’t get enough.

You can’t take my away from watching a Washington sporting event, especially if it’s a Nationals game and DEFINITELY if it’s a Redskins game.

This summer I’ve been working multiple jobs and being generally busy, while learning how to cook (because I really can’t cook for my life) and trying to stay in shape (round is a shape).

I can’t wait for the school year to begin because weekends in Northern Virginia are as boring as you’d expect, and I want to hang out with my good friends back in Chicago. Also, the beginning of the school year means football season is starting soon and there is no season better than football season.