Danny Taylor brings Seuss classic to life

This summer, a delightful adaptation of Dr. Seuss’ “Cat in the Hat” has come to Chicago’s Broadway Playhouse. The play is a swift one, clocking in at an energetic 35 minutes with an additional interactive session that follows the performance.

The DePaulia had the unique opportunity to speak with actor Danny Taylor, who stars as the Cat in this season’s show.

The book on which this production is based on is classic and beloved, and Taylor described the relationship between the stage and print version of the material.

“I like to call this an adaptation of the book,” Taylor said. “But it is pretty much the book brought to life.”

Though the show remains faithful to the text, Taylor also described the endearing artistic license that the script provided, as well.

“Fun moments in between is when the creativity happens,” Taylor said. “It simply says in the script ‘guitar moment’ where he plays the tennis racket like a guitar. If that’s all it says, then it’s up to us to create what we want to create. So that was where our creativity and our little touches came to be part of our show.”

When taking on the iconic role of the Cat, Taylor’s preparation surpassed simply analyzing the text he was provided with.

“I actually own a cat and I love cats and it’s sort of trying to be true to that,” Taylor said. “There’s a moment when the fish spits water in my face because he’s upset and I do my best to impersonate a cat sneezing. I’m simply trying to embody both the mischievousness and the friendliness.”

Though the show is targeted towards a younger audience, Taylor explained that it has several universal qualities and provides something for every age group.

“The adults are always surprised that they have as much fun as the kids do,” Taylor said, laughing. “The cast signs autographs in the lobby afterwards so there is this real sort of interaction with the audience and the adults always say, ‘I had so much fun!’ I think they are always sort of surprised that they too are allowed to have fun at something like this.”

The role of performing in general has played a deep and constant role in Taylor’s life.

“I’ve been onstage from a very young age,” Taylor said. “My mom tells stories. I don’t even remember this, but in preschool, evidently, I played Max from ‘Where the Wild Things Are.’ I don’t even remember my first leading role. So it’s been a part of me ever since I was little. My mom got me into dance class at the age of five and even though I hated going to class every week, I sure liked that recital. I had that sort of light at the end of the tunnel and I stuck with it.”

The role of acting makes its way further back into Taylor’s existence than he can even recall. As he makes his way forward, though, he has discovered a true love for the distinct art of performing for younger individuals.

“I am personally in love with children’s theater,” Taylor said. “It’s one of the things that I am constantly looking forward to doing more of Š—ê which is how you know you’re doing the right stuff Š—ê because if you’re doing something and you don’t feel that way, you should probably move on or look around or find out what else you should be doing.”

When asked for some words of inspiration for aspiring actors, Taylor paused and contemplated.

“No one knows what you’re worth better than you,” Taylor said, assuredly. “And in that same vein, knowing what you’re worth and what your time is worth is important because you are your own agent in so many fashions.”

It seems that Taylor has struck an impeccable balance between self-respect, commitment and kindness as he has paved the path to his success. It is a success that he is still absorbing and attempting to understand.

“It’s fun, but it’s a mysterious thing,” Taylor said, chuckling. “This sort of touching on fame thing where everyone sees you all over Š—ê I like to disappear into a crowd.”

Taylor’s humility is commendable; his face has sprung up all over the city of Chicago, alerting individuals everywhere of the treat that they are to experience if they make their way over to Water Tower Place this summer.

“Cat in the Hat” will be at the Broadway Playhouse through Sept. 1.