Theatre School’s Playwright’s Series showcases DePaul talent

Every year, the DePaul Theatre School chooses one play written by a student to feature as a part of the annual New Playwrights Series. This May, a unique theater experience is nestled within Lincoln Park’s Greenhouse Theater Center.

The impressive new production, A “Tribute to Thick Leonard,” was written by DePaul senior Gilbert Tanner and is taking the venue by storm.

The show chronicles the life a woman named Rita who runs a pub in the depths of a Florida swamp. She lives with a dear friend; an adopted daughter; two of her nieces; and, soon, another nephew, all of whom are haunted by deep and winding paths.

While the first act is momentous and plot-driven, the second delves into the lives of each of its deliciously intriguing characters, formulating a story that is both emotionally and dramatically satisfying. The stage is intimate and the cast is small, but this May’s show packs a punch that is hard to believe.

“It’s very exciting,” said Tanner when asked about his work coming to life on the stage. “It’s extremely exciting. At first it was a little bit uncomfortable because I was still not quite satisfied with some of the writing, but once I got past that, it was so exciting to see them work hard on it and dedicate to it.”

Tanner’s humility is endearing, though his impressive aptitude for writing is apparent. His words come to life on stage. He has created a story that is both poetic and real; his dark circumstances take on a strange and beautiful life of their own. “Thick Leonard” is both funny and gritty, but always impossible to look away from.

The show’s cast is small and so permeated with incredible performances that it is difficult to distinguish the particularly noteworthy ones. The tale at hand enables a range of unique and impressive characterizations.

Though each member of the smaall ensemble possesses a distinct and faceted role, they fit together haphazardly yet flawlessly at the same time. There is an unmistakable chemistry amongst them that operates seamlessly.

Tanner is unmistakably fond of his cast.  Placing your work in the hands of others requires bravery, and he has embraced the challenge whole-heartedly.

“Once they have a scene down, their ability to explore and change it and change the tone of it and change the meaning behind it has been very exciting,” he said. “They really do a great job of adding in layers that I had never even imagined.”

While the entirety of the ensemble is powerful, Grace Palmer who portrays Rita is absolutely mesmerizing. She holds the show in her hands and commands the stage; though she comprises only a part of the story, she is the complex and fascinating glue that binds it together.

Senior Lauren Blakeman similarly glows. Her performance is intuitive and nuanced, and her raspy voice is wonderfully grounding.

The fact that DePaul’s Theatre School houses immense talent is common knowledge, but having the opportunity to experience a show that has also been written by a student is something special. The newness and complexity of what Tanner has crafted is thrilling.

His story is deeply moving as well as genuinely entertaining. His newest show is darkly triumphant, but picks up on some of the most delightful humors in life simultaneously. There is a tireless life behind the story that “Thick Leonard” has to tell. Its charisma is infectious and its message is profoundly haunting.

“A Tribute to Thick Leonard” will be at the Greenhouse Theater Center in Lincoln Park from May 10 to May 19.