Fall video game preview: 007 Legends

The latest edition of our fall video game previews series is quite apropos considering the very special anniversary this game helps to celebrate. This fall marks the 50th anniversary of the James Bond film franchise, and MGM is bringing out all the stops to commemorate this monumental achievement. Releasing mere weeks before the launch of the new Bond film “Skyfall,”Activision is teaming up with MGM for a new game entitled “007 Legends.”

“007 Legends” is a lovingly-crafted tribute to the legendary film franchise. The game stars the current iteration of Bond, played and voiced by actor Daniel Craig, as he faces off against some of his greatest foes from his storied past. The single player campaign is comprised of five parts, each representing a different Bond adventure. Fans can expect to come face-to-face with the monstrous Jaws during the “Moonraker” campaign, escape the deadly hat-blade of Oddjob from “Goldfinger,” outwit the dastardly Blofeld from “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service,” get revenge on drug lord Franz Sanchez from “License to Kill” and take out corrupt entrepreneur Gustav Graves from “Die Another Day.”

Alongside these famous antagonists, players can expect appearances from Bond’s compatriots, such as “M” played by Dame Judi Dench, and all the expected Bond girls from Pussy Galore to Jinx to Holly Goodhead. In addition to these classic campaigns, players can expect the release of a “Skyfall”-themed campaign that follows the events of the upcoming film. This campaign will be released as DLC (downloadable content) sometime after the game is released.

Gameplay-wise, gamers who picked up last year’s HD remake of the classic “007: Goldeneye” will know what to expect. The game is a stealth-based first-person shooter that tasks players with accomplishing objectives using their wits, a couple of gadgets and a precise eye for gunplay, not unlike Bond himself. “007 Legends” focuses more on stealth-based gameplay than its predecessor, forcing players to use their wits to beat the odds rather than over-the-top gunplay. Basically, expect more “Dishonored” than “Halo.”

Players can also make use of Bond’s impressive hand-to-hand fighting skill, dispatching enemies with a free-form melee function that uses the analogue sticks to guide attacks. Each campaign also features a vehicle portion, where Bond will take control of some craft, most likely an Aston Martin, and take out waves of oncoming foes.

Multiplayer modes will take their cue from “007: Goldeneye Reloaded” as well. 4-player split-screen is sure to entertain Bond fans crowded around a couch offline, and 12-player online modes should entertain even the most hardcore players. The multiplayer also takes a hint from the insanely popular “Call of Duty” franchise, featuring an experience system that rewards players who devote their time to multiplayer. In addition to a simple multiplayer ranking system, players are given a specialization feature not unlike the Prestige system of “Call of Duty.” Simply put, if you put time into this game, it can reward your effort.

Gamers looking to recapture that adventurous spirit of the Bond franchise should look no further than “007 Legends” for their James Bond fix until “Skyfall” drops in November.

“007 Legends” will be released by Activision Oct. 16 for the Xbox 360 and PS3, Nov. 2 for PC and Dec. 2 for Wii U. “007 Legends” is rated “T” for Teen.