From “Family Guy” to suit and tie: Seth MacFarlane to host Oscars

Seth Macfarlane has been chosen as the host for the 2013 Academy Awards, premiering Feb. 5. The 38-year-old actor is known primarily for his voice roles on the shows “Family Guy” and “American Dad.”

Macfarlane had several big successes this year, especially with his first directorial debut. The movie “Ted,” directed, co-produced and co-written by him was highly successful in theaters, but Macfarlane will have big shoes to fill at the Oscars since Billy Crystal, a regular Oscars host, was fabulous last year as usual, hosting the show for the ninth time.

As a first time host, Macfarlane will have to bring his A-game, or he may receive a similar backlash that James Franco and Anne Hathaway experienced when they hosted. Their appearances in 2010 were not funny, and it was an uncomfortable experience for the audience.

Looking at the long list of previous hosts, it seems that typically older comedians have been chosen based upon their well-established reputation and creditability in making people laugh. Just imagine the Academy and the telecast producers, though, sitting around discussing the best candidate to be the host of the event, when all of the sudden, a young coordinator brings in a copy of “Family Guy” – an episode with one of Peter Griffin’s offensive drunken rants. The Academy and the telecast producers react, acknowledging the brilliant idea to have Macfarlane as the host.

Viewers love Macfarlane’s characters and voices on “Family Guy,” but will the real Macfarlane resonate with the audience of the Oscars? The answer is yes!

Before he was asked to host the Oscars, Macfarlane perfected his chops on the Comedy Central Roasts of Donald Trump, David Hasselhoff and Charlie Sheen. More recently, he hosted this year’s season premiere of Saturday Night Live. The first show of its 38th season was well received by audiences.  It seems like Macfarlane has been preparing himself in the last several years for this opportunity.

Macfarlane hasn’t been looking for other types of regular acting roles besides the ones on Family Guy and American Dad, and there is no sign that he will give up any his voice-acting work for a traditional acting role. Another potential reason for landing the position of host may be that he also sings and writes music for Showtime. These talents could provide fresh and entertaining content to the show.

One thing for certain, Macfarlane will bring his voices, crude humor and unrestraint to the event. He will likely provoke insulting comments and antics that may shock and entertain the audience.

In the last few years, the Oscars have been rather dull. In choosing Macfarlane, The Academy and the telecast producers might be attempting to draw a younger audience. Animated comedies have been extremely popular in the last few years. The Academy and the telecast producers of the Oscars hope to win an award of their own with one of the biggest comedic talent. It’s now up to Macfarlane to make it shine.