Blurry “vision” for the future

If you walked through the quad Sept. 14, you might have noticed the gigantic stage, sea of white chairs and a scrumptious looking spread, which rivaled the sandwich from Chartwell’s you grabbed earlier.

No, FEST didn’t come early this year–this event kicked off the university’s plan to enhance our education and national appeal over the next six years.

And whether you showed up to express overwhelming support or attended for the free tote bag and thermos, the turnout further fueled DePaul’s obsession to promote, implement and inform the university community about Strategic Plan 2018.

Last year when the university first started to draft its new “vision,” I asked myself, “why should we care about Strategic Plan 2018?” By 2018, this year’s freshman class will be off to bigger, and hopefully better, opportunities by the time DePaul discusses a vision for 2024.

I looked out at the quad and thought to myself again, “why is this important if I won’t be around to enjoy it?” (in addition to “is this lavish production on the quad really necessary?)

Last week, I decided to go straight to the source-university president and one of the university’s head “vision crafters,” Rev. Dennis Holtschneider.

When I spoke to him, I took a deep breath and asked him why current students should care about a plan when its affects are six years away?

His response was quick and took me by surprise.

“Well the answer to your question is that it’s simply not true,” he said. “It’s a great question though.”

He proceeded to tell me about the initial years of Vision2012, the previous six year plan, where the university gave birth to such institutional staples such as Campus Connect and the LEED certified McGowan South science building.

“If you look back at the last six years, we had much of vision 2012 happen in the early years,” Holtschneider said. “and you will see that happen again.”

The university has already begun introducing goals from the strategic plan. Holtschneider said they are working hard to aggressively build science and health programs,including partnerships with two Chicagoland institutions.

The university also prepares to move the School of Education into a new building purchased from Children’s Memorial Hospital within the year while design work for the School of Music is also moving forward, according to Holtschneider.

Behind the scenes, Father Holtschneider said he was working hard to try to bring men’s basketball back to Chicago.

Vice President for Planning and Presidential Administration Jay Braatz also said the university was underway with goal one of the plan, which “commits the university community to, collectively, enhance academic quality and support educational innovation.”

Braatz pointed to the recent announcement of free membership for all DePaul students to the Chicago History Museum (CHM), which will continue throughout their time at the university.

A new collaborative partnership with the international organization Facing History and Ourselves and the College of Education during the initial years will also help reach the plan’s first goal throughout the time of the plan.

Overall, the goals set forward in the Strategic Plan 2018 are broad and will be hard to achieve in six years.

Several projects from Vision 2012 will carry over into Strategic Plan 2018, including the John T. Richardson library renovations and the new Theatre School, which will be completed by Fall 2013.

“It’s not that you accomplish everything at the end of six years,” said Holtschneider. “We set to accomplish every thing throughout that time, and hopefully, by the end of six years it will be finished.”

I agree that if this “plan” helps make our reputation grow and enhance our national standing, students, alumni and the rest of the DePaul community stand to benefit.

But, I still don’t understand the over-the-top kick off party. Aren’t you supposed to party after the work is finished?