CTU and LOL: Social media buzz about the strike

Notice a lot of chatter on Twitter and Facebook lately about the teachers strike? You’re not alone.

The Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) strike has become more noticeable as media coverage has swelled with each passing day. Chicago students and their parents have become increasingly concerned as students lose school days. CTU and Chicago Public Schools (CPS) continue to negotiate, and with all the hype, it is no wonder that social media has become a major factor in the strike.

Many have flocked to Facebook to voice their support for the teachers’ union. A picture reading “I Support the Chicago Teachers Union: Fighting for Better Schools” has become an increasingly popular profile picture on Facebook. Union advocates have posted photos, statuses and articles on the social media website, crying out for CPS to give the teachers what they want. These same people have used Twitter, not only to voice their support or displeasure, but also to coordinate strikes and events.

First-year DePaul law student Nerissa Diaz, who changed her Facebook profile picture in support of CTU, was not shy in voicing her support. “Without CPS teachers, I wouldn’t have a four-year university degree and I would not be in law school,” said Diaz. “Without teachers, students across the city would not know what it is like to have someone constantly fighting for students’ rights, their well-being and their success.”

Recent University of Illinois graduate and working actress Aurora Adachi-Winter had similar thoughts on the issue. “I support the teachers because I spent 12 years in the CPS school system and have seen how very hard my teachers worked and how little that hard work, the 10-plus hours a day they put in and the school supplies they paid for out-of-pocket was appreciated,” said Adachi-Winter.

DePaul senior Anthony Cushion has noticed the CPS strike trending on Twitter and Facebook, but the strike frustrates him because it is hindering his own education. “I can’t do my 25 hours for my junior experiential learning class without the teachers being in the classroom,” said Cushion. “I really wish they’d figure it out.”

Bulls point guard Derrick Rose, known to be one of the more soft-spoken superstars of the NBA, joined in on the strike conversation on Twitter. “Hope the CPS gets a deal done soon … we need our kids in school!” Rose tweeted. Chicago continues to utilize social media in the ongoing strike as they hold their breath for a quick resolution.