News in Brief: 9/10/12

DePaul student killed in car accident

Kenneth Collins, a DePaul Ph.D. student, was killed Aug. 17 after a car hit him outside of Roseland Hospital, according to Chicago Tribune and ABC 7 News.

Collins, 43, was a youth counselor for the hospital, and was writing his thesis on how to prevent African-American men from incarceration. Collins was at the hospital on Friday to receive his paycheck, which he reportedly planned to use on an engagement ring for his girlfriend.

The driver that struck Collins remained at the scene, and told police he lost control of his vehicle.

Alice Butler-Collins, Kenneth’s mother, told the Chicago Tribune her son’s death was a “tragic accident.”

Dean of Students Office opens new department

The Dean of Students office is searching for a director and coordinator for a new department of Health Promotion and Wellness opening this year.

Dean of Students Art Munin said the new department will “cover the full scope” of health and wellness, from sexual health to healthy eating habits.

“Sexual health is something we’ve requested for several years, and finally got funding for it,” Munin said. “The whole philosophy of it is to promote healthy relationships, not just showing the unhealthy ones.”

However, Munin said that Trojan Condoms’ “Sexual Health Report Card”-which ranked DePaul last out of 141 colleges in sexual health resources last year-was not a major influence in the creation of the new department. “It always comes up in conversation, but it’s not exactly the most scientific [study],” Munin said. “They didn’t even give me a survey to fill out, they just ranked us.”

Munin added that the university would continue to adhere to a “Catholic-based philosophy” when it comes to sexual health on campus.

DePaul kicks off Vision 2018

DePaul will host a picnic in the Lincoln Park quad Sept. 14 to present Vision 2018, an updated version of its Vision 2012 and Vision 2006 strategic plans.

According to the plan, within the next six years, DePaul will seek to enhance academic quality, deepen its connection to Chicago, strengthen its Vincentian identity, foster diversity, and pursue a business model that builds the university’s excellence.

“Like a sculptor who sees the splendor that will emerge from a slab of marble, we hold in our minds a powerful image of the DePaul we aspire to become,” DePaul President Rev. Dennis H. Holtschneider, CM, wrote in the plan’s introduction. “Our new strategic plan is a collective work of the university community that articulates our promises to students, our plans to collaborate with Chicago and the values we treasure.”
ξ