One day before classes begin, CPS teachers rally for new contact

One day before Chicago public schools opened their doors, thousands of teachers rallied at Daley Plaza in support of a new agreement between the teachers’ union and the city.

Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) members and supporters chanted “Solidarity forever” and “Rahm Emanuel has got to go, hey hey, ho ho,” as they marched from City Hall to CPS headquarters on Labor Day. The union is asking for smaller class sizes of 25 students or less, a pay raise that covers an increase in work days, and more job security and special services, among other requests, in contract negotiations. Teachers are prepared to strike on Monday, September 10th if a new contract is not reached.

CTU president Karen Lewis, who spoke at the rally, said, “This fight is not about Karen Lewis, let’s be clear, this fight is for the very soul of public education, not only in Chicago, but everywhere.” Lewis also called Mayor Rahm Emanuel a “liar and a bully.”

Lewis said teachers must stand up to the “bully,” and that “we did not start this fight, but enough is enough.” However, Lewis later said she was “extremely optimistic,” because CPS officials are working with the issues on the table.

Many of the teachers at the rally said they hope to avoid a strike, but are ready to walk out Sept. 10 if their demands for a fair contract are not met.