Five sold-out Lollapalooza after shows that are totally worth it

Whether it’s the festival itself or the gigs throughout the weekend, most everything associated with Lollapalooza is sold out. But if you’re looking to blow your life savings on scalped after-show tickets or risk arrest by sneak into a gig, you might as well make it big, and make it one of these.

Alabama Shakes with First Aid Kit, Dry The River, and Filligar
Have singer and guitarist Brittany Howard blow your mind when the Alabama Shakes bring their soulful sounds to the Metro Wednesday night. Catch them live and learn why they’re the new media darlings, and why their debut album should be in your music collection.

Wednesday, August 1, at the Metro. 7 p.m.

Passion Pit with GIVERS and Kishi Bashi
Yes, Passion Pit have a full evening set at Lolla, but if there’s a scheduling conflict because they are playing at the exact same time as The Shins, or if you’re looking to start your Lolla weekend early with some electropop, catch the band at the House of Blues Thursday night.

Thursday August 2. House of Blues. Doors at 8 p.m.

Jane’s Addiction with Franz Ferdinand

Not much needs to be said beyond the names in that lineup. Franz Ferdinand will set the tone for Perry and company to tear up the Aragon Brawl-room. Franz will be playing a full set at Lolla but the opportunity to catch Jane’s at this one-off appearance is an absolute must for the die-hard music fan.

Saturday August 4. Doors at 10 p.m. Aragon Ballroom.

Twin Shadow with Poolside and Kid Color
Looking for throwback sounds with a modern twist? Twin Shadow brings his new-wave synth-fluence to Lincoln Hall Saturday night. 70’s soul-groove sounding Poolside will get your mojo going while Chicago’s own Kid Color will get you in the dancing mood. Get ready to put on your red shoes and dance the blues.

Saturday August 4. 11 p.m. at Lincoln Hall

The Walkmen
Indie rock more your thing? Catch The Walkmen Sunday night and close out your Lolla party weekend rock and roll style. Even though the band will be performing earlier in the day at Lolla, catch them again Sunday night. There’s no such thing as too much of The Walkmen.

Sunday August 5 at Lincoln Hall. 11 p.m.