Andy Samberg leaves SNL

“On these New York streets I honed my fake rap penmanship! That’s how it began, and that’s how I’m-a finish it!” This line was taken from Andy Samberg’s final digital short, where he ends his run on NBC’s long-running variety comedy show “Saturday Night Live” in the finale of its 37th season.

Samberg has been a huge influence on the current generation of SNL, from his wacky digital shorts to his sole performances in sketches. Samberg has proven that you don’t need to have spot on celebrity impressions or a bunch of crazy characters to be funny as he’s brought his own hilarious ideas to the show over the past seven years.

Though leaving SNL, Andy Samberg still belongs in his comedy troupe “The Lonely Island,” with former SNL writers Jorma Taccone and Akiva Schaffer. It’s undecided on what their future holds, but one thing’s for certain – they’re well-known for their creative and hilarious comedy music videos, most of which have been shown on SNL as a pre-recorded digital short.
Most of these videos have gone viral on youtube and include many famous recording artists like Michael Bolton, Akon, Katy Perry, T-Pain, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, and Justin Timberlake.

The short that started the revolution was the famous “Lazy Sunday” featuring Andy Samberg and SNL alum Chris Parnell, going viral on youtube overnight after airing on SNL. “Lazy Sunday” is a rap about Samberg and Parnell going to see the “Chronicles of Narnia.” In SNL’s season finale May 19, Samberg, Taccone, and Schaffer close out the season’s digital shorts with “Lazy Sunday Part 2,” featuring both Andy Samberg and Chris Parnell.

Though Samberg worked with many recording artists in the last seven years, he also worked with several celebrity actors in many well-known shorts. He created a cherry battle scene with “Precious” star Gabourey Sidibe; performed a “Transformers” stint with Megan Fox; created the slogan “Like a Boss” through a music video with actor Seth Rogen; and even collaborated with actress Natalie Portman on a parody rap on drinking and fighting.

One of the most popular digital shorts Samberg has created was “Laser Cats.” Starring Samberg and cast member Bill Hader. It’s a short created every season featuring cheesy and fake stunts all in the form of hilarity. Its most recent short this season featured film director Steven Spielberg. It’s uncertain if it will still continue in future seasons due to Samberg’s departure. Samberg’s work on SNL’s digital shorts has been phenomenal for his and his comedy troupe’s creativity and hilarity within each and every one. SNL has taken a huge hit with Samberg’s departure.

While Andy Samberg is widely memorable for his digital shorts, his work on SNL as an actual cast member is unforgettable as well. As a cast member, he didn’t always have the best celebrity impersonations or the best characters, but he knew what he was working with and always brought laughs to the audience. I had the privilege of seeing a live show and meeting him in person. Regardless of what people think of SNL or Andy Samberg in general, one thing’s for sure: SNL will have a tough time finding someone to replace someone hilarious as Andy Samberg.
Ô_