Blue Demon rundown: Feb. 9, 2015

Junior Kyle Johnon earned Big East Player of the Week last week. (Photo courtesy of DePaul Athletics)

DePaul men’s tennis

Junior Kyle Johnson was named Big East Player of the Week as the Blue Demons’ raced out to a 5-0 start last weekend.

The award is Johnson’s first in his career.

Johnson went 4-0 in singles play to improve to 5-0 on the year to earn the award. He also paired with fellow junior Sten Leusink to go 2-0 in doubles on the weekend. The duo, ranked no. 56 in the nation by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, moved to 3-1 on the season.

Johnson, however, dropped his first match of the year when he lost to Tulane’s Constantin Schmitz Friday in a 6-2, 7-6 (2) match. As a whole, the Blue Demons lost to No. 53 Tulane in their first loss of the year.  They followed that up with a loss to Georgia State the following day.

The losses dropped the Blue Demons to 5-2 on the year.

DePaul women’s basketball

Women’s basketball improved to 19-6 overall and 11-2 in the Big East with two wins over Butler and Xavier on the road.

DePaul went to Indianapolis Friday morning to play the Bulldogs in a 10:30 a.m. showdown.  The game was a dominant performance from the Blue Demons as they earned an 83-65 win over the Bulldogs.

Coming into the game, Butler was third in the conference with an 8-3 conference record, but it was a wide win for the Blue Demons.

Sophomore guard Brooke Schulte came off the bench to lead the team in scoring with 18 points, a career high. Redshirt junior guard Chanise Jenkins also put in 17 points and sophomore Jessica January had 15. The Blue Demons won their fifth straight game with the victory and finished the season sweep of Butler.

On Sunday, DePaul traveled to Xavier and finished the season sweep of the Musketeers to win their sixth straight game, this time 87-63. The Blue Demons remained tied for second in the Big East, one game behind Seton Hall. DePaul will host the conference leading Pirates Friday at 7 p.m. In the first meeting, Seton Hall handed the Blue Demons their worst loss of the season, 107-87.

Earlier in the week, DePaul senior guard Brittany Hyrnko was named one of 16 midseason candidates for the Dawn Stanley award, awarded to the nation’s best player. Hrynko is averaging 19.2 points and 5.2 assists in 24 games this season, second in each category in  the Big East.