From Mom, with love

In celebration of Mother’s Day, the DePaul community reflected on ways their mothers have influenced them.

“The most helpful piece of advice I ever got from my mom is that you always need to live in the moment,”  Brumbach said. “Enjoy what you are doing right now instead of wishing you were doing something else. Enjoy what you have.”

-Julie Brumbach, DePaul Junior Public Relations and Advertising Major

“The best advice my mom gave me was to be sure to thank those who go out of their way to help me, as well as those who remember me on birthdays, holidays or for other reasons,” Alba said. “She believed it was very important that we recognize the thoughtfulness of others and never take them for granted.  Although I have heard this advice many times throughout my life, no one lived it as well as my mom did.”

-Professor Benjamin E. Alba, College of Law

Nadine Worley’s mother offered her sound advice when it came to her career and work ethic. “Never put off the things you don’t want to do, because then you won’t have time for the things you would rather do,” Worley said. “Also, if you can help it, never go into a job that you know will make you miserable. You won’t be as good at something you don’t love.”

-Nadine Worley, DePaul Junior English Major

Kahn had nothing but kind words for her mother who has passed on, calling her a “wise wonderful mother whom I adored.” The best advice her mother gave her was, ‘don’t look at what you don’t have, look at what you do have.’

-Professor Lin Batsheva Kahn, Theatre School Performance Department

“I was a big Bulls fan growing up, which makes sense as they won six titles during my late teens and early 20s,” Schlichtman said. “My mother always said ‘you’re spending too much time thinking about the Bulls for someone who is not on their payroll.’

“My mother also said ‘if you want something done, ask a busy person to do it.’  The idea was that people who were not active and proactive, although they had more time on their hands, were often bad stewards.  She said this to me when I was being particularly lazy.”

-Professor John Joe Schlichtman, Sociology Department

“The best advice my mother gave me was when times get hard, don’t lose your faith in people,” Knight said.

-Professor Cameron Knight, Theatre School Performance Department

Professor Conway’s mother gave him many pieces of great advice: “Don’t be afraid to take risks, because you’ll regret not taking them, and watch ‘The Office’ on the BBC — the show will become a big hit.”

-Professor William Conway, Real Estate Department