DePaul stands against sexual and relationship violence

Karen Tamburro, a 1996 graduate of DePaul’s College of Law, became DePaul’s first full-time Title IX coordinator on Sept. 8, 2015. For the previous 14 years, she served as a supervisory attorney with the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. Tamburro will be housed in the Office for Institutional Diversity and Equity, and will be supported by deputy Title IX coordinators within Student Affairs, Athletics, Human Resources, Enrollment Management & Marketing and Academic Affairs. (DePaul University/Jeff Carrion)

Jeff Carrion

Jeff Carrion

Karen Tamburro, Title IX Coordinator

More and more conversations about sexual and relationship violence are happening in society and on our campus, driven in part by the growing #MeToo movement.

As DePaul’s Title IX Coordinator, I appreciate when students show an interest in these issues and are open to learning more. Last week, some opinions expressed in a debate between two politically affiliated student organizations led me to believe it would be useful to reiterate where DePaul stands on sexual and relationship violence.

Let me be clear: at DePaul, any sexual act directed against another person without the person’s consent, including instances where the individual is incapable of giving consent, is prohibited. This includes any contact of a sexual nature that occurs without consent by all the individuals involved.

We take all reports of sexual or relationship violence very seriously. I encourage everyone to learn more about the available reporting options on DePaul’s Title IX website, or to make a report by contacting me at (312) 362-8970, ktamburr@depaul.edu or titleixcoordinator@depaul.edu. You can also make a confidential report. Confidential reporting resources are identified on the Title IX website.

DePaul adopted a statement on sexual and relationship violence that reads, in part: “Every member of the DePaul University community has the right to safety from the threat of sexual and relationship violence.”  DePaul is committed to providing fair and holistic support to all individuals involved in instances of sexual and relationship violence. I work closely with the Dean of Students Office, the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness, University Counseling Services and other campus partners to provide a comprehensive response to any member of the DePaul community impacted by issues of sexual and relationship violence.  That response could include access to counseling and related support services, academic assistance, access to medical services, and information about the rights and options available at DePaul or in the community.

In addition to the responsive efforts I described above, members of the DePaul community can count on us to continue educating the community about this important issue. Through proactive educational efforts such as the Vinny Vow and One Love Escalation Workshop, which are offered through the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness, we’ll work to help prevent sexual and relationship violence from happening, to ensure everyone can recognize sexual and relationship violence when it occurs, and to encourage individuals to seek help for themselves or others.