Louis C.K. picks fight with Parkland

February 18, 2019

Comedian Louis C.K. has been trying to get his career back on track after five women spoke out about sexual misconduct. The accusations surfaced in November 2017, when the women came forward to discuss their stories.

Incidents of C.K.’s sexual misconduct date back to the late ‘90s, one woman spoke anonymously to protect her privacy.  At the time, she was a production worker on “The Chris Rock Show” where C.K. was a writer and producer. She alleges that he continuously asked her to watch him masturbate, a request to which she eventually gave in. Acknowledging it was the wrong decision, she felt that he was abusing his power and she conceded because of the culture of the workplace.

Comedians Dana Min Goodman and Julia Wolov recalled an incident in 2002 at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen Colorado where C.K. invited them to hang out in his hotel room. Believing it was going to be a congratulatory nightcap, they accepted the invite. After entering the room, C.K. allegedly asked the two if he could take out his penis.

“He proceeded to take all of his clothes off and get completely naked and started masturbating,”Goodman said in an interview with New York Times.

One woman recalled him masturbating while the two were having a phone conversation. In 2003, Abby Schachner attempted to invite him to one of her shows, while she could hear him masturbating. Schachner said she heard him close the blinds, as he began to breathe heavily, talking softly and describing sexual fantasies.

The last known incident was in 2005, when C.K. was on set with Rebecca Corry as a guest star appearing on a television pilot.

“He asked if we could go to my dressing room so he could masturbate in front of me,” Corry said in an interview with New York Times.

Corry declined his offer. As word got around set, executive producer Courteney Cox discussed shutting down production. But Corry had no interest in being the person who shut down the show.

After word about his sexual misconduct reached headlines, C.K. released a statement discussing the truth behind the allegations. In the statement, C.K. pronounced that he would take the time to stop talking, step back and listen to what everyone has to say.

The comedian took almost a year off before he began to pop up at comedy shows unannounced to do stand-up routines. It didn’t take long for him to appear in headlines, this time for comments toward Parkland shooting survivors. Leaked audio of a performance by C.K. at the Governor’s Comedy Club in Long Island was posted on social media.

“They testify in front of Congress, these kids, like what the fuck, what are you doing?” C.K. says in the set. “You’re young, you should be crazy, you should be unhinged, not in a suit saying, ‘I’m here to tell…’ Fuck you. You’re not interesting because you went to a high school where kids got shot. Why does that mean I have to listen to you? How does that make you interesting? You didn’t get shot, you pushed some fat kid in the way and now I need to listen to you talking?”

Fans were not pleased with the comedian’s remarks, largely viewing them as insensitive.

“It’s sad because I used to think he was funny, but after the sexual misconduct and this, I think he’s hit rock bottom,”said Alfonso Nunez, a former C.K. fan.

The immediate backlash to his comments after the audio was posted didn’t stop the comedian right away.

“If you ever need people to forget that you jerked off, what you do is make a joke about kids that got shot,” C.K. told an audience in San Jose, California.

Some people question whether there is a line to avoid crossing with tragic events and comedy.

“I think that people who were uninvolved or unaffected with the event need to tread very carefully,” said DePaul student and comedian Amy Do. “I’ve blacklisted Louis C.K. and do not follow or give my eyes to anything he’s doing.”

His cruel comments didn’t sit well with Manuel Oliver, who lost his son Joaquin, one of the 17 people killed in the Parkland shooting. As a response to C.K. and his comments, Manuel Oliver recorded his own stand-up routine.

“You ever hear dead baby jokes?” Oliver begins. “I got a dead baby. His name was Joaquin Oliver. He was going to be 18, but now he’s dead. And that’s not a joke.”

Manuel Oliver’s stand-up routine affected DePaul student Stephanie Sanchez.

“I teared up, having to be in that man’s shoes, having lost his son and have to hear Louis C.K. turn that into a joke is disgusting,”Sanchez said.

C.K.’s insensitive comments bring up a tragic moment in the lives of those who were affected by the shooting. Those that lived to tell the story have used their platform to speak on behalf of those that didn’t. Students stood in front of Congress telling their story in hopes that no one else has to go through the tragedy they did. It is apparent that C.K. not only wasn’t listening, but was trying to talk over them elsewhere. Maybe he should go back to listening and not speaking.

The father of a student in the Parkland shooting released the following video as a response to C.K.’s performance.

• A

AndresFeb 22, 2019 at 3:01 pm

Don’t speak on behalf of everyone, a bbunch of cry babies don’t represent Louis CK’s fans. We’re eager to see his new specials because he’s one of the few remaining warriors of real comedy. Nobody cares about your little feelings

• S

Summer CumloudFeb 22, 2019 at 4:02 am

Were any of the people affected by the Parkland Shooting in the audience that night? Didn’t think so. So who exactly is the true asshole here? The person who made the joke in front of a small group of unaffected people (who were all laughing) or the people who make sure that every single last one of the victims and their families hear it? CK’s ultimate intent is the spread joy through laughter while articles such as this only aim to spread outrage and anger.

• M

Martin SemerádFeb 21, 2019 at 4:56 pm

This orwellian Newspeak is getting ridiculous. Kids these days…Have you ever heard about George Carlin? These SJW Nazis would explode listening to Mr. Carlin.

• J

Joe DokesFeb 21, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Yes, why do all the articles attack Louis, when so many people support him? I noticed that, too.

• M

Michael Mc LaughlinFeb 21, 2019 at 9:10 am

Who is Amy do, though, a dodo?

• A

AVFeb 20, 2019 at 10:49 am

This article is full of inaccuracies and some fictionalized accounts. It’s irresponsible and slanderous. The headline alone is hyperbolic nonsense. If the writer had done any actual research, the responsible thing to do would have been to report that he’s eliminated the Parkland bit from his act. In addition, the truthful thing to do with this article’s made up versions of his encounters with the women involved, would be to reflect what the New York Times reported and what was truthfully confirmed by Mr. Szekel. Instead this article is filled witht the imagination and lies of the writer. Please retract your inaccuracies and falsehoods.

• T

TonyFeb 20, 2019 at 12:40 am

The ratio in these comments lol. Why do all journalists appear to be brain dead SJW types?

• B

Bill KilpatrickFeb 19, 2019 at 6:46 pm

You can joke about anything. If you get laughs, it’s funny. If you don’t, it’s not. I heard the leaked recording – which, by the way, was theft, the stealing of an artist’s work. I didn’t hear it to get a free sample of LCK – who was never my cup of tea – but to hear everything in context , rather than have it explained to me by some leftist activist. People were laughing throughout.

The joke, by the way , for all the mirthless social justice warriors, was LCK’s frustration at being picked apart by the solemn, angry, self-righteous. You know, people like this author, this blogger, this basement bureaucrat with broadband.

The fact that LCK was outrageous or inappropriate or insensitive is part of the appeal of the joke. He wasn’t representing the better angels of our nature. He was giving voice to our inner demons, which is like a comic hoping the driver of the car whose wreck has backed up five miles of traffic was decapitated to justify putting so many people out.

These self-important idiots who run around telling comics what jokes to tell are just extending their reign of terror as the hall monitors of human communication. Free Speech isn’t free anymore. You have to get a hall pass from them. If everything triggers you, if it’s all a peanut allergy, you’re too fragile for this world. Go back to your bubble. If you can’t make meaningful choices – like change the channel or turn it off – go live where communication is controlled and conformity enforced.

• M

MattFeb 19, 2019 at 1:48 pm

The Parkland thing isn’t even close to the most offensive thing he’s ever said on stage, no one would be talking about this had he not gotten into trouble, and therefore I call B.S. It’s just manufactured outrage by SJW yuppie libtards trying to stop the man from reviving his career by cherry picking offensive material said by a famously offensive comedian, which is exactly why we love him. Stand-up is an act, watching ppl get upset by an act is like watching a child believe a Marvel movie is true to life. Louis CK Is one of the funniest comedians ever, we want him back, anyone who doesn’t like it can go f*uck themselves. Go Louis go!

• S

Stephen LairdFeb 19, 2019 at 7:10 am

Stop picking on Louis CK.
    If you can’t take a joke without being politically correct then stay home you retard.
    Comedy is subjective not everyone is going to laugh at everything that is said.
    As for women who complained about sexual harassment 20 years ago, your a money hungry douchebag trying to get something for nothing..
    The one woman who gave in and watched him masterbate because of pressure is a weak bitch.

• E

EkFeb 19, 2019 at 12:54 am

Go curl up in a ball and cry somewhere little fella.

• A

Andrea CavaFeb 18, 2019 at 11:51 pm

Erick Zepeda, are you a journalist or a history blogger?

There has to be a better way to get clicks than riding the “hate-CK” ‘wagon

• S

Suq madiqFeb 18, 2019 at 8:58 pm

And now, time to tell Goolgle “not interested in ‘stories’ from the DeFailia.”

• J

Jig a BooFeb 18, 2019 at 8:31 pm

This is no longer news, and no one cares that people were offended anyway. If you don’t like him, don’t listen to him.

• L

LtFeb 18, 2019 at 6:34 pm

U just wasted ur time writting this nonsense. Noone cares. Ck is back and all of us cant wait 4 his specials to come out cause he is the goat of stand up. He tells jokes lmfao and u people get upset and write the same shit over and over jesus christ dude lmao

• J

Joe DokesFeb 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm

“Fans were not pleased with the comedian’s remarks?” You spoke to one fan. I’ve spoken to hundreds of fans. They back Louis CK 100%. They get the joke. You fail to report on them.

• B

Behind the timesFeb 18, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Wow, this was barely news when it was new.

• S

StephenFeb 18, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Oh, a new article about Louie C.K.’s leaked audio…seven weeks later? I guess writing is difficult. I look forward to your next article in early April.

18