Nature’s calling: Find adventure and go camping this summer

A view from a cliff in Starved Rock State Park in Oglesby, Ill. The park, which is an hour away from Chicago, hosts many visitors throughout the summer. (Hannah Ward / The DePaulia)

As DePaul students, we take pride in our ability to be tough and make our own way in a city where it often feels like every person for himself or herself. We have no problem braving the Red Line for those later-than-expected parties, ignoring the sound of scurrying rats as we walk down an alley and are survivors of the infamous polar vortex. But when it comes to a simple camping trip, many of us would suddenly be at a loss.

The summer months are the ideal time to overcome the concerns camping presents, escape the city and experience what the Midwest has to offer. Contrary to popular belief, Chicago is not the only place worth visiting in Illinois or the surrounding states. Within a six-hour drive of Chicago there are waterfalls, canyons, cacti, a variety of wildlife and a slew of campgrounds.

Illinois has 350 state parks, 100 of which have campsites, and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) manages over 450,000 acres of land. According Tim Schweizer from the IDNR, Illinois state parks have 40 million visitors every year.

The big question is why would anyone, not to mention millions of people, voluntarily sleep outside on the ground when they could sleep in a comfy bed with air conditioning and a warm shower?

“People go camping in the Midwest because it is a way to get outdoors,” Schweizer said. “You can enjoy outdoor recreation activities and stay at the same place, with the park just outside your RV door or tent flap.”

Camping, while forcing you to forgo the comfy bed, does have its perks. DePaul junior Emily Creek had a clear explanation for why she enjoys camping.

“Camping is obviously the best,” Creek said. “You’re out in nature. In Chicago, there is no real way to enjoy the outdoors, especially at night. You will get closer with the people you go with, even if they are already your best friends. You get to enjoy the campfire and see the stars without technology getting in the way.”

Taking a break from technology and the anxieties of college are both commonly cited reasons that motivate students to pack their bags, don their hiking boots and head for the woods.

“The best part is just escaping reality for a bit and being at peace with nature,” DePaul senior Joey Lucente said. “All your anxieties go away when you’re camping.”

Not only does camping offer students the opportunity to hit pause on their day-to-day lives, but it also allows them to experience a different way of life. Students are able to both escape some parts of life while simultaneously immersing themselves in a new culture and landscape.

Although there are many reasons to go camping, it isn’t all waterfalls and s’mores. From washing dishes in the freezing cold to being scared of the noises coming from the woods, everyone has their least favorite part of camping.

Lisa Grady, a DePaul junior, has some advice for getting over the dread of camping.

“Expect everything to go wrong,” she said. “Expect food to go bad, expect it to be raining, expect it to be cold. You’re at the mercy of nature so you need to adapt with it and appreciate it for what it is even if it is 30 degrees and raining sideways. That can be really sweet also.”

Even the hardiest campers have bad nights, but they keep going back for more because, at the end of the day, the pros seem to far outweigh the cons.

“Honestly, my least favorite part is having to leave,” Grady said. “Like, you can’t just stay there forever. Even if it sucks I don’t want to leave.”

(Hannah Ward / The DePaulia)
(Hannah Ward / The DePaulia)

Backpack essentials

1. Toilet paper – Using the bathroom while camping is hardly glamorous, and by bringing toilet paper campers are able to make going to the bathroom more comfortable.
  2. Cooking utensils – Cooking utensils are helpful for making and serving food while on a camping trip.
  3. Can opener – Depending on what food campers bring, can openers are essentials to be able to open food.
  4. Safety supplies – While on an active camping trip, it’s important to bring a First Aid Kit and other safety supplies such as hand sanitizer with you in case burns, cuts or scratches happen.
  5. Sunscreen/bug repellant – No matter where a person is, sunscreen is important in order to maintain health. Bug repellant also helps so campers aren’t itching throughout their entire trip.
  6. Headlamp – Nighttime while camping can become incredibly dark due to the lack of outdoor lighting. Headlamps come in handy while walking around outdoors to be able to see at night.
  7. Matches – Chances are, most campers are unable to start fires on their own. Matches are helpful to create a fire in order to cook food and warm up.
  8. Swiss Army Knife – A small tool that can fit in any bag, this is an essential camping item as it contains a knife, corkscrew, saw and scissors.

Into the woods

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 4.17.53 PMThe top places for a midwestern camping trip

Devil’s Lake State Park

Baraboo, Wisconsin

Three hours and 15 minutes from DePaul.

Features: Camping, hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, swimming, kayaking, canoeing, snorkeling and scuba diving

Just north of Madison, Devil’s Lake offers a variety of options of outdoor activities for campers who visit.

“When we went there we said it looked like a mini-Northwest, (and had)huge hills for climbing if you’re into that,” Creek said.  “(The) campgrounds are beautiful, like a forest (and) you can walk around the lake and do different levels of trails. You can swim and rent non-motor boats for the lake (and) there is cliff jumping.”

Kettle Moraine State Forest

Kewaskum, Wisconsin

Three hours from DePaul.

Features: Camping, hiking, swimming, canoeing and kayaking, fishing and mountain biking

“The whole area has a bunch of small ponds dotting the land,” Joey Lucente  said. “They are from the last glacier that melted to form these ponds. You see things you don’t normally see in a typical popular campground in the Chicagos area.  It has more spunk to it than other campsites.”

Starved Rock State Park

Oglesby, Ilinois

One hour from DePaul

Features: Hiking, camping, fishing and boating

The park is close to Chicago and has a variety of trails to explore. The park is home to canyons, waterfalls and unique rock formations. The campground is not located in the park, but it is very close. It is also only five minutes away from Matthiessen State Park, which is a great place to go for a hike and to see waterfalls.

“It’s like the Midwest’s version of the Grand Canyon,” DePaul sophomore Emily Walsh said. “The first time I went, I had no idea Illinois had its own set of canyons. The history there is very rich and everything is quite beautiful. The waterfalls are my favorite part. I’ve been there at least eight times now and continue to keep visiting.”

Turkey Run State Park

Marshall, Indiana

Three hours and 15 minutes from DePaul.

Features: canoeing, kayaking, swimming and a variety of hiking trails and fishing

“We hiked up waterfalls and trails,” Walsh said. “It was definitely the most intense hiking I’ve ever done in the Midwest. Because the routes were less traveled, the hidden gems were spectacular. There were points when I was left speechless in awe.”

Shawnee National Forest

Simpson, Illinois

Five hours and 30 minutes from DePaul

Features: Camping, hiking, rock climbing, cycling trails, hunting, fishing and swimming

Located in Southern Illinois, this area really feels like a whole different world from Chicago. It offers camping, hiking, rock climbing and swimming. While Shawnee National Forest is further than many other parks, it is the most popular park destination in Illinois. It offers breathtaking views that are not often seen in the surrounding area and has places to rock climb, swim, hike, go horseback riding, fish and boat.

• parkwarningsIf you go to a popular camping destination, you will want to ensure you have a camping spot by making a reservation ahead of time. You can find reservation information on the park’s website.
  • Be aware of the wildlife in the area. Some of these parks do have black bears and snakes. If you are in an area with bears, do not cook or store your food near your campsite.
  • Most campsites do not offer a shower. Shower before you go and embrace not showering as part of the camping experience.