Weed is not decriminalized; we’re just making money off it now

Forget ‘4:20’ it is all about ‘6-27’ in Chicago.

Although the term ‘4:20’ has never lost its ‘cannabis cool’ when it comes to associations, the new digits representing June 27, 2012 have garnered a new meaning in Chicago politics.

As of Aug. 4, individuals caught in Chicago with less than 15 grams of Marijuana will receive a $250 to $500 ticket.

Before the ordinance was passed, getting caught with 30 joints (15grams) meant an individual was arrested, charged with a misdemeanor (written onto their permanent criminal record), earned a possible stay in prison for up to six months, and was charged $1,500 in fines. Fines that were often ‘thrown out’ according to statements made by Mayor Rahm Emanuel after a 43-to-3 vote in favor of his plan.

“…Everybody [knows] that 90 percent of the cases are thrown out,” Emanuel told the council after the vote.

“The only revenue I’m interested in [is], I don’t want to be paying a police officer time-and-a-half to sit in a courtroom for four hours on something that…will be thrown out….I want them on the street dealing with gang-bangers and gun violence,” said Emanuel.

The revenue from Chicago’s underground economy is estimated to bring in about $7 million a year according to Police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy. An income that may begin to repair the city’s $108 billion deficit, according to a 2011 county ordinance on debt disclosure.

“Ok, that’s a good way to bring in more money instead of wasting time on handling the ‘crime,’ ” said DePaul University student Valentin Olegovich, 21.

“However, people might be more likely to take the risk of getting a fine because the impact is not as large. If it no longer goes on your record, those who can afford to pay $250 to $500 will be more likely to use pot than before.”

Yes, the dreaded fear formally expressed by the three ‘no’ votes at the hearing from Alderman Lona Lane (18th Ward), Roberto Maldano (26th Ward), and Nick Sposato (36th Ward). Concerns that are most likely echoed by many that believe that champions of the enticing ‘Mary Jane’ will run rampant in the streets to publicly light their 29 joints.

Even visualizing a horrible nightmare where rampant teens and voracious thugs wave their lighters in the air as they dust-off their bongs, crank their grinders and roll out brand new smoking papers just for the chance to exhale right into the eyes of unsuspecting children and cane-waving seniors.

Fortunately, Mayor Emmanuel has demanded money for this kind of ‘ganja glory.’

In the case of ticketing ‘toke,’ arrests rather than simple tickets take place if individuals are under 17, are smoking at a school or park, or are without a license. Also, if an individual garners a second citation within 30 days, their fine increases to the maximum of $500. Which means, $250+$500+continued offenses, result in vapid expenses and an extreme dedication to a fantastic lawyer.

Natalie Mitrovic, 21, also believes that individuals committed to smoking the drug will continue despite fines and laws, even encouraging smokers who are not as committed to step up their passion for pot.

“I feel those that already smoke will continue to smoke in general, whether the law forbids them or not…Ultimately though, this new policy will free up cops from cannabis-related arrests and let them deal with more important tasks and let them do their jobs on the street,” said Mitrovic.

Chicago’s homicide count has increased by 38 percent since 2011, and our infamous violence is probably a more uncomfortable message to send to children rather than the reefer pandemic that people are imposing upon a reality that has not even happened yet.

Alderman Will Burns of the 4th ward explained, “The calls I get at 2 o’clock in the morning are not about marijuana possession. They’re about someone who’s been shot in my ward. I want those calls to cease. The way we do that is to make sure our police are fighting violent crime and free up their time to deal with those issues.”

In a statement made earlier this month by McCarthy, he estimated that the arrests of more than 18,000 people (most of which were minorities) for misdemeanor possession of 10 grams or less resulted in more than 45,000 police hours of paperwork.

Creating a ticketing system means 2,500 additional 80-hour days for officers to ‘protect and serve’ instead of police a vacant desk.

And although many Chicagoans may disagree to the morality and worthiness of the passed ordinance, at least we are making a mighty high profit off of a controversial ‘weed.’