Whole Foods at DePaul on a ‘half foods’ budget

Employees at the new Whole Foods DePaul location prepare for the store’s opening Wednesday, Feb. 25. This is one of the first Whole Foods to open in a former Dominick’s location. (Josh Leff / The DePaulia)

Whole Foods is here and so are the higher prices for food. Long gone are the days when DePaul students could walk into Dominick’s and purchase something that they would otherwise pay much more for at ETC. As a former senator on SGA, but more importantly as a typical DePaul student, I am disappointed with the replacement of a convenient grocery store with a much more expensive alternative. DePaul’s SGA should have participated in discussions to bring an inexpensive alternative to replace Dominick’s on the corner of Fullerton and Sheffield avenues.

First, some context: There was a major price difference among products between Dominick’s and ETC. at the Student Center. Some convenience items that students often purchased at Dominick’s were much less expensive than at ETC. And then Dominick’s left the Chicagoland area. Whole Foods is no remedy; the general prices there are not conducive to the average college student’s budget. Students will now have to pay much more for such items or have to venture farther away to find the same items for a reasonable price.

Last year, I brought up the issue about student concerns over Dominick’s leaving and concerns about who will replace it. Knowing that DePaul owns the building, Centennial Hall, I presumed our student government would be the best avenue for voicing student concerns about an affordable grocery store there. So the first week I brought it up, I was told by former SGA president Casey Clemmons and vice president Sarah Rens at the time that they were not aware of any action by DePaul and were not willing to participate in any discussion with grocery stores.

A week later, I was told via email by vice president Rens to discontinue work on this and was informed that this issue was actually “something they were already very much keeping an eye on before I brought it up so they would let me know more about ongoing discussions as soon as they knew more.” Talk about a complete contradiction to the statement that she made to me just the week prior. In the end, nobody from SGA represented the students in ongoing discussions with whom will replace Dominick’s, particularly an inexpensive alternative.

Now, Whole Foods is here to stay — thanks a lot SGA. But that was the past. Now, I offer two ideas to help students afford items sold at Whole Foods: More “Demon Discounts” and meal plan usability. The first idea is a simple help for students. DePaul students have access to discounts at local businesses just by showing their DePaul ID. A lot of times, these are formally called “Demon Discounts.” I’d like to see the Whole Foods on Fullerton and Sheffield avenues offer 10 percent off on entire purchases or something like that for DePaul students.

My latter idea is much more far-fetched. I think it would be cool if DePaul students could use their meal plans towards buying stuff at this Whole Foods. I think this would be a convenient way for students to be able to purchase natural and organic food without digging deep into their own personal — and probably hard-earned — money. Whether these ideas become a reality or not, I hope something happens on behalf of DePaul students.

Don’t get me wrong, Whole Foods is not some terror out to bankrupt college students. I am glad that there is a food store chain going the extra mile to specialize in organic food. But because of that standard, costs are placed at the consumer’s expense. It is DePaul’s building and I think students, namely SGA, should have at least participated more in the discussions with bringing in an inexpensive replacement for Dominick’s. But more importantly, I hope student concerns about prices are heard and that in the end, we can all afford natural and organic food using a typical college budget.