St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago: A great American story

The Chicago River during the 2009 Saint Patrick's Day celebration. (Wikimedia Commons)
The Chicago River during the 2009 Saint Patrick’s Day celebration. (Wikimedia Commons)

We could say it is “the luck of the Irish” living in a city as great as Chicago during St. Patrick’s Day. From the vibrant green river dyeing, to the packed streets of cheerful people; the city is practically overflowing with Irish parades, music, food, and Irish pubs that make for one of the most festive and memorable St. Patrick’s Day experiences.

Even if you are not Irish, don’t fret. Most people who celebrate the religious holiday aren’t. Oh you didn’t know? St. Patrick’s Day is a religious holiday, but with so much Irish culture overflowing the city, how can you not help but celebrate your Irish roots (real or pretend)? “I’m like, 5 percent Irish. My great, great grandma’s, great grandpa had a second cousin who was Irish.”

Sound familiar? I thought so. So when did Americans get on this St. Patrick’s Day bandwagon of drinking green beer, eating green eggs, eating corned beef and cabbage, and drinking more green beer? Let’s start from the beginning.

According to Dr. Mary McCain, Irish history instructor at DePaul, our annual St. Patrick’s Day celebrations come from Irish immigrant’s harrowing experiences when migrating from Ireland to America. The migration began during the colonial period when Presbyterians from Northern Ireland began migrating to America for numerous reasons, but mainly to escape religious persecution.

“They came for the same reasons many immigrants then and now come to America, looking for freedom of whatever kind and economic opportunity,” McCain said. “The Irish immigrants were very instrumental in Chicago: in the building of the infrastructure of the city and most importantly the Illinois and Michigan canal, which linked Lake Michigan to the Illinois River. That was huge for the economic life and development of the city. It was also really important for the Irish themselves because it was unskilled labor work.”

The first generation of Irish immigrants did not have the skills and education they needed to immediately become professionals, so they were confined to low skill and low waged jobs such as manual labor. Irish women would be domestic servants: maids, cooks or housekeepers.

“This placed a ceiling on their advancement,” McCain said. “They would be criticized, ‘why don’t you go out and farm the great territories of Indiana or the plains?’ and lots of them did go to Minnesota and farm, but a lot of them remained in urban centers. One explanation might be that they felt comfortable around other Irish immigrants. They were drawn in by economic opportunity, but then remained because it became their home.”

As you can imagine, the Irish had to literally become trailblazers. When they came to America, the Irish had the advantage of being able to speak the language, while immigrants from other countries could not. This helped make it possible for the Irish to build their own institutions. So when the Irish felt that the public schools had a very protestant tint to their curriculum, they began building Catholic churches and schools. That way, their children could receive an education that would teach them the skills they needed for a job other than manual labor and they would have a place to say mass as well.

During this time, there was still a lot of anti Catholic bigotry and the fact that the Irish were poor did not help and it seemed systemic and endemic.

“As we know, across time and across space, sometimes the poor are driven to criminal acts to try to get their basic needs met. So there was an association of Chicago’s Irish with crime,” McCain said. “The term ‘paddy wagon,’ was the police van that would come and ‘paddy’ was a slur for Irish man. So they were up against a lot and they responded by spending a lot of time and energy, and their low level of income into the building of the Catholic Church.”

The Irish decided to respond to all of the prejudice that they were experiencing by saying as McCain explains, “we are here. We are proud of our heritage. We are going to make our way into this country, which promises freedom to all and protects religious liberty in its founding documents and we’re going to make this work for us. So today march 17th the day of our patron, St. Patrick, we are going to make you aware of our presence.”

They began to create annual celebrations, including Chicago’s famous St. Patrick’s Day parade. But St. Patrick’s Day celebrations back then were not the madness that they are today because in Ireland it was a religious holiday. In Ireland families would go to mass, have a meal with their family and their was no parade; the parade was a “reverse import” from America to Ireland, McCain said.

“The parade then took a hiatus from 1901 or ’02 to 1956,” he said. “The explanation for that is that the younger folks in the 20th generation were certainly not ashamed of their Irish heritage, but not as interested as celebrating it publicly and they didn’t need to.”

The parade was brought back when Richard J. Daley was elected mayor, who was the first Irish mayor to revive the tradition and bring it downtown in 1956. The famous South Side Irish parade began in 1979, which was initiated after neighbors wanted to “get the kids together and put on a parade,” McCain said. The dyeing of the Chicago River dates back to the 1960s.

“Its pretty ironic that when the dye goes in the river it first appears orange and then turns green, because both orange and green are in the Irish flag,” McCain said.

McCain describes the Irish’s entire journey as a “great American story,” because the once despised minority became the cool kids on the block. The Irish also saw business opportunity, capitalizing on their stereotypes, such as talking and drinking too much.

Today, St. Patrick’s Day has become a celebration where everyone is welcome, whether you are Irish or not, said John Gorski, the President at the Irish American Heritage Center in Chicago.

“It’s the first day of spring, not the calendar day but it’s a sign that spring is here. I think that’s why people want to get out. Another part of it is the ‘everyone is Irish in American culture,” he said. “It’s a welcoming day of all Irish facilities and the day brings everyone together whether you are Irish or not. That’s kind of a unique thing in this country or wherever you are because I’m pretty sure St. Patrick’s Day is the most inclusive ethnic holiday there is and that just creates sheer numbers of mass.”

Jill Riley, a DePaul junior, said being in Chicago for St. Patrick’s Day is truly something special. Even having been to Ireland last October, Riley said that Chicago truly is a special place to be in while celebrating and recognizing Irish culture.

“I love that on St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago you can be any age, ethnicity, race, religion or gender and have an amazing experience celebrating it with friends and family,” Riley said. “Going to the parade and getting to be a witness to such a joyous celebration by a multitude of cultures always amazes me.”

Riley is 50 percent Irish. Her Irish father always celebrated St. Patrick’s Day with his family the best he knew how: through eating a drinking,Riley explained.

“Not only is my dad a huge fan of a cold pint of Guinness, but he also makes a delicious Irish stew that takes over 48 hours of preparation,” Riley said.

Even though many people who celebrate St. Patrick’s Day are not Irish, Riley said it doesn’t bother her because she feels a sense of pride being able to tell people she is an Irish American.

“Admittedly, I usually tell people that I’m 100% Irish because I think that sounds pretty cool and I can totally get away with it having an Irish first and last name, freckles, green eyes and dark hair,” Riley said. “Now I guess the cat’s out of the bag.”

Now that you know where St. Patrick’s Day came from and how the day has a special connection to Chicago, feel free to spread your knowledge upon other people this Saturday when you are out celebrating at the bar and you hear somebody say, “I’m like, 5 percent Irish. My great, great grandma’s, great grandpa had a second cousin who was Irish.” Yeah, you will be hearing that more than once throughout the day, I am sure. Cheers!

Don’t plan on sleeping in this Saturday, March 14, because Chicago is celebrating St. Patrick’s Day. Here is a list of events, parades, and festivals happening throughout the day.

Saturday, March 14:

9:15am – Dyeing of the Chicago River

This Chicago tradition is over 50 years old and is one of the world’s most famous St. Patrick’s Day traditions, while remaining a favorite to Chicagoans. The dyeing of the river was started when plumbers used a fluorescein dye to trace the sources of illegal pollution discharges. The local plumbers union continues to dye the river today, but have switched to pouring 45 pounds of eco-friendly vegetable dye into the river. At first glance, the dye appears to turn the river orange but then transforms (with the help of leprechaun magic) into the bright beautiful green that attracts nearly 400,000 people every year.

Tip: Don’t get to the river too late! The color only lasts for about 5 hours.

Location: Chicago River (Columbus Dr. and Wacker Dr.)

Noon – Chicago’s Downtown Parade

Rain or shine, come and celebrate in your best green outfit at the 60th downtown St. Patrick’s Day Parade. The parade lasts for roughly three hours.

Location: The parade starts on Columbus Dr. and Balbo and will continue to move north through Grant Park and end at Monroe Dr.

Tip: If you can’t make it to the parade because you are stuck at home studying for finals, take a study break and watch the live broadcast on ABC 7 Chicago.

1 p.m. to midnight – St. Patrick’s Festival at Irish American Heritage Center

The building stands on 86,000 sq. ft., holding a museum, library, art gallery, Irish food and drinks, arts and crafts, and a performance stage for traditional Irish music and dancing.

Location: 4626 N. Knox Ave.

Tickets: Groupon is selling two ticket packages for $15 and you can buy up to eight tickets. Normal ticket prices are $12-15 for adults; free for children 12 and under.

A list of not so traditional events that are worth going to this St. Patrick’s Day:

9:30 a.m. – St. Paddy’s Day 5K Run and Walk and 8K Run

Even though we never thought the day would come, Chicago is finally seeing spring. So, get active while enjoying the warmer weather. Make sure to wear your most festive St. Patrick’s Day gear for the chance to place in the costume contest! Each registered participant will get a shirt and all finishers (21 and older) will receive a refreshing beverage.

Locations: Lincoln Park (Stockton Dr. and LaSalle Dr.)

Tickets: $48-53 (comes with a shirt and beverage)

9 a.m. – Get Lucky Half Marathon and 7K

For a change of pace this St. Patrick’s Day run in this half marathon/7K.

Location: Soldier Field. 1410 S. Museum Campus Dr.

Tickets: $51-70 (comes with a sweatshirt)

7:30 p.m. – The Champion of Champions: St. Patrick’s Day Show

Laugh the night away at this improve comedy show, where four improvisers are pitted against each other in an hour long comedy battle with games and scenes suggested by the audience. Doors open at 7 p.m. and seating is general admission. There will also be drink specials, prize giveaways, and karaoke immediately after the show.

Tickets: Groupon is selling a package of two tickets for $12 and you can buy up to eight tickets. Normal ticket prices are $24 per person.

Location: 3345 N. Clark St.

Sunday, March 15

Noon – South Side Irish Parade

The south side neighborhood, Beverley is known for their Irish heritage and family focused parade. Be prepared to watch bands, Irish dancers, and a parade queen and end the event at the local Irish bars or restaurants.

Location: Western Ave. (between 103rd & 115th Street)

Noon – Northwest Side Irish Parade

This year the parade is performing a special tribute to community based efforts on behalf of military and veteran’s families. The exciting and fun-filled parade celebrates family, faith and Irish heritage. An after party will follow the parade from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. where there will be live entertainment, face painting, raffle giveaways and a corned beef and cabbage dinner. The parade begins at William J. Onahan School and runs through the Northwood Park neighborhood, finishing on Harlem Avenue.

Location: 6634 W. Raven St

Tuesday, March 17

Noon- 10 p.m. – St. Patrick’s Day Celebration at the Irish American Heritage Center

The Irish American Heritage Center will continue their weekend celebrations on Tuesday with an all day long event. A mass will begin the day at 11 a.m., Irish music will be played through out the day along with Irish dance: The Tooles, O’Hare School of Irish Dance, The Chancey Brothers, Mulhern School of Irish Dance and Without U2. Come out and celebrate!

Location: 2626 N. Knox Ave.

March 17 – June 7

10 am – Ireland: Crossroads of Art and Design, 1690-1840

The Art Institute of Chicago is opening this new exhibition on St. Patricks Day. Come to see the ribbon cutting accompanied by a bag-piper and special guests. The museum will hold 300 objects of decorative and fine art from Ireland’s 18th century’s framed portraits, musical instruments, furniture, textiles and much more.

Locations: 111 S. Michigan Ave.

Interested in an authentic religious celebration?

Old St. Patrick’s Church

Saturday, March 14 – St. Patrick’s Day Civic Celebration

Mass begins at 9 a.m.

Sunday, March 15 – St. Patrick’s Day Community Celebration

Lasts from 1 p.m. to 2p.m.

700 W. Adams St.

A list of Irish bars worth going to this Saturday:

Lincoln Park:

McGees: Tavern and Grille

Location: 950 W. Webster Ave.

Duffy’s: Tavern and Grille

Location: 420 ½ W. Diversey Ave.

Durkin’s

Location: 810 W. Diversey Ave.

Redmonds

3358 N. Sheffield Ave.

Halligan Bar

2274 N. Lincoln Ave.

O’Malleys

Location: 2249 N. Lincoln Ave.

Irish Eyes

2519 N. Lincoln Ave.

Kelly’s Pub

949 W. Webster Ave.

Harrigan’s Irish Pub

2816 N. Halsted St.

Wrigleyville

The Irish Oak

3511 N. Clark St.

River North

Fado Irish Pub

100 W. Grand Ave.

The Kerryman

661 N. Clark St.

River West

Emmit’s Irish Pub

495 N. Milwaukee Ave.

Gold Coast

McFadens Restaurant and Saloon

1206 N. State St.