DePaul Women’s Basketball eager ahead of NCAA matchup with Minnesota

Making the NCAA tournament is a feat itself and, for DePaul, it came by winning 13 of their last 14 games and winning the Big East Tournament. However, after 13 straight tournament appearances, the Blue Demons look to do more than just “enjoy the ride.”

“Everyone says ‘enjoy the ride’ but if you don’t come out with a real inner strength and toughness, there is no ride,” head coach Doug Bruno said. “So it’s a great dynamic to ‘enjoy the ride’ but these players behind me have the strength and toughness to create another ride.”

The Blue Demons were sent off Wednesday afternoon two days before their NCAA first round game against Minnesota in South Bend, Ind. by fans and other DePaul athletes. Bruno spoke to the crowd, as well as the three seniors on the team, Megan Rogowski, Brittany Hrynko and Centrese McGee.

“We appreciate the support you’ve given us all year and we want to go out and make you proud,” McGee said.

Bruno gave introductions to the seniors, first with Rogowski who is out for the year with a torn ACL.

“I can’t tell you how much we miss having you here,” Bruno said. “We’re going to play against a great zone and your teammates are going to step up but it sure would be nice having you.”

He also talked about the variety of positions and duties for McGee, as well as saying that Hrynko, the Big East player of the year, still has something to prove.

“(McGee) is our ‘garbage player’ and we say that with total affection,” he said to laughs from the crowd.

The No. 9 Blue Demons will tip off against No. 8 Minnesota at 4 p.m. CST on ESPN2. The winner will face the winner of No. 1 Notre Dame and No. 16 Montana. DePaul went to the Sweet Sixteen in 2014 when they knocked off Oklahoma and Duke in the opening weekend.