Fall fashion trends include ’70s revival

Get ready, fall is here. Knowing Chicago, fall weather could be here by the time you finish reading this article — or from a month from now, you never know. Nevertheless, when the time comes to order your pumpkin spice lattes and buying updated pieces to add to your wardrobe this year, trends are quickly changing, and in order to keep up, I’m here to provide you with the Do’s and Don’ts of fall fashion this year.

One of the biggest trends featured on the AW 2015 runway was the ‘70s. Here are some of our picks for the best ‘70s trends to return this season.

_MG_5220
Bomber jackets, were originally created for pilots and members of the Air Force to wear. The jackets caught on as a popular form of apparel in the ‘70s, and have been stylish ever since. (Josh Leff / The DePaulia)

Do’s

Flared jeans

Alas, our legs finally get a break after years and years of being constricted in skinny jeans. And they’re readily available too — head over to Asos.com to check out their store’s own brands of said denim.

Chunky knit sweaters

As seen on many of the AW 2015 runways, H&M recently debuted their AW Studio Collection, which provides plenty of trendy, quality knits for a budget friendly prices.

Bomber jackets

Although these have been a common street style staple for the past few seasons, they’re still going strong. Topshop offers a wide variety of these sorts of jackets in various colors and prices.

Wear suede

Wear suede however you feel like it at that — green, camel, brown, black or red. Keep it as a minimal piece, whether it’s a jacket, a skirt, or a pair of boots, never over-do it.

Wear turtlenecks

In addition to being incredibly cozy, turtlenecks are a great statement piece this season. Get a simple turtleneck with no design, and easily pair it with other layer-able clothing options.

_MG_5206
Skinny jeans and bell bottoms are both out this season. Instead, pick up some flared jeans. The classic look is readily available for the fall season. (Josh Leff / The DePaulia)

Don’ts

Wear chunky acrylic knits

These could be the death of you, as acrylic is that particular material that makes your skin crawl and itch until you get a chance to rip it off when you get home.

Wear bell bottoms

The difference between the classic flare and the bellbottom is just that; flared is classic, bellbottom is trendy. Even when flares are no longer preferred, at least they’re still chic.

Wear jean jackets

These jackets used to be a great summer-to-fall transitional piece, but that was a long time ago. This season, update your wardrobe with a rose gold or black bomber jacket instead.

Wear leather

This is the year of the suede jacket, so embrace it. Small leather statement pieces work fine, though.

Wear crew necks

The age of the sloppy sweater is over. Chic it up a bit with a sleek cashmere turtleneck instead.