Iconic Chicago movie theaters transform the film experience

big screen-2Going to the movies in Chicago can be a special experience that is often taken for granted. Living in a major metropolitan city allows for unique film venues that do not exist in typical college towns or suburbs. Although some might find the ever-growing home movie services like Netflix and Hulu to be more appealing than traditional movie theaters, theaters all around Chicago have amazing and unique experiences to offer. From listing movie options that aren’t available in mainstream theaters such as Regal Cinemas or AMC Theaters, to hosting special events, these theaters provide so much more than a simple film.

The rising cost of a movie theater ticket has led many Americans to rethink their decision to go see a movie. Consumer Affairs, a website for consumer news, reported that the average ticket price in the third quarter of 2014 was $8.08, up from $7.84 a year earlier. While this may not seem like a large sum, factoring in multiple tickets, services fees in buying online and expensive concessions bought at the theater, the price of going to see a movie can add up quickly. Rather than splurge on a commercial theater experience, some opt to spend their money at other ornate movie-showing venues. Chicago theaters offer consumers more unique options in terms of viewing and the general atmosphere at the theaters.

While commercial theaters offer a fairly uniform experience, unique Chicago theaters bring an atmosphere of exclusivity and rareness that many moviegoers desire. According to Chicago Detours, a tour service in Chicago, Chicago was once the center of the filmmaking industry. Back in the 1900s, Thomas Edison’s production equipment partially remained in Chicago, creating a large hub of filmmakers in the city. Exploring Chicago’s theater scene will not only bring back memories of the city’s history, but will also enhance and improve the now commercialized experience of seeking a film on the big screen.

5 Chicago movie theaters to visit

(JOSH LEFF / The DePaulia)
(JOSH LEFF / The DePaulia)

Facets Cinematheque

1517 W. Fullerton Ave.

History:
Facets is a nonprofit organization founded in 1975 to change lives through the power of film. The organization serves audiences of over 300,000 each year and seeks to be a leader in youth-focused media-education programs.

Why is it unique?
Facets has a mail video service for members, educational screenings and a wide range of programs for kids, like Chicago’s International Children’s Film Festival. Facets is a quaint one-theater box with a fairly unique video store neighboring it.
“It is more of an art house selection, a lot of foreign films from all over Africa, Iran and South America just for starters,” Matt Silcock, the Video Rental manager said. “We will carry Iron Man or whatever the Hollywood blockbusters are if we find them important to the history of film.”

Special events and more:
Facets hosts the Chicago International Children’s Film Festival, and this year it will be held from Oct. 23 to Nov. 1.

(JOSH LEFF / THE DEPAULIA)
(ESSENCE RANSOM / THE DEPAULIA)

Gene Siskel Film Center

164 N. State St.

History:
The theater is dedicated to one of cinemas most recognizable names, the late Gene Siskel, a suave and swaggering film critic for the Chicago Tribune. Gene Siskel had openly championed this theater alongside his colleague Roger Ebert.

Why is it unique?
“The experience is a very respectful one. The audience takes the work seriously and that creates an ideal atmosphere for exhibiting these art films,” Daniel Torres, a local film student and regular at the Siskel, said.
The Siskel Center is well known for running little known films from all across the world. They also show the classics and host many film festivals year round, including the Black Harvest Film Festival. Boasting an elegant and educational film-going experience right downtown, The Gene Siskel Film Center is the place to go for hardcore film buffs.

Special events and more:
The 19th Annual European Union Film Festival takes place in March 2016.

(JOSH LEFF / THE DEPAULIA)
(JOSH LEFF / THE DEPAULIA)

Century Centre Landmark

2828 N. Clark St.

History:
The Landmark Theatres is a leader in the industry for providing diverse and entertaining films throughout the country. They are at the forefront of independent film exhibition in the U.S and their Chicago location makes for a great night out. Located in The Century Shopping Centre, the building itself was built in 1925, however in 1999 was completely remodeled to include new escalators, and the seven-screen Century Centre Cinema.

Why is it unique?
Nestled on the highest three floors of the Century Shopping Center, Landmark Theatres is showing some of independent cinemas most anticipated films.
“The types of pieces we get to show makes Landmark a great film going destination,” Nick Rohr, Landmark employee and film lover, said. “The films we show aren’t so experimental to where they would alienate the general audience. They are a perfect gateway into the independent scene for a casual film goer.”
With its brand new, swanky, chandeliered bar attached and a plethora of local beer on tap, it is a great place for before and after movie conversation.

Special events and more:
According to employees at Landmark Theatres, they will start having many more midnight screenings to draw in a younger crowd.

(KARLIE THORNTON / The DePaulia)
(KARLIE THORNTON / The DePaulia)

The Music Box Theatre

3733 N. Southport Ave.

History:
Although the theater opened its doors in 1929, the Music Box still looks breathtaking, with its cutting edge roots in the golden age of Hollywood. It is famous for its large theater, decorated with clouds on the ceiling and a dusty organ planted right of the giant red curtain.

Why is it unique?
“Back in the day when it opened, going to the movies was a grand night out on the town, so a lot of those qualities that were present in the 1920’s and 30s are still present here” Stephanie Berlin, Music Box PR and special events manager, said.
The Music Box recently opened a lounge area attached to the box office. “We are still spreading the word about the lounge, Berlin said. “It’s part of the theater, it’s a place for people to come and talk about movies, be comfortable and get a drink.”

Special events and more:
You can go straight to the Music Box Theatre’s official website to see the plethora of midnight screenings every weekend. On Oct. 30 and 31 the Music Box Theater will be showing the Rocky Horror Picture show at midnight, which has become a tradition at the theater.

(JOSH LEFF / THE DEPAULIA)
(JOSH LEFF / THE DEPAULIA)

AMC River East 21

322 E. Illinois St.

History:
The River East 21 is the largest cinema in the city of Chicago with 21 screens. It’s connected to the River East Center, the third tallest all-residential building in Chicago. Although AMC is a large movie chain, this theater has amenities such as a bowling alley and arcade.

Why is it unique?
AMC River East 21 surprisingly has a thriving foreign film scene. The theater gets over 100 foreign films to show every year, including blockbuster musicals from Bollywood.
The River East 21 is also the home of many of Chicago’s most prestigious film festivals like the upcoming Chicago International Film Festival.

Special events and more:
The Chicago International Film Festival will be held from Oct. 15-29. The Chicago Latino Film Festival will be held from April 9-23. This theater also recently launched a Minecraft league, allowing people to play Minecraft on the big screen.