The ‘taste’ of progress: Zafen to celebrate one-year anniversary with benefit

Since their launch last April, Zafen has accomplished big things in small ways in their efforts to benefit Haiti. To celebrate their one-year anniversary, Zafen will be hosting the benefit “Taste for Zafen” on Friday April 1.”It’s not just for them, it’s for us too,” said Prof. Laura Hartman, Special Assistant to the President for Haiti Initiatives.

Hartman said the event will celebrate the progress that Zafen and Haiti achieved together as partners in contributing to the future of both Haiti’s economy and families.

“That future is bright in part because of relationships such as these, where people have faith and hope in each other and the power that comes from believing in the resources that we can each bring to the table,” Hartman said.

Since their launch last year, Zafen has been able to help the people of Haiti in tremendous ways. According to Zafen Vincentian Family Administrator, Griselda Garibay, the microfinance program has raised over $300,000 in loans and donations in less than a year.

“While we are not yet in the millions, it is important to note we are working diligently towards the mission of the organization-to encourage the self-sufficiency of Haitian entrepreneurs” Garibay said.

Hartman and Garibay recently came back from Haiti when they visited in the beginning of March. During their visit, they witnessed the remarkable progress.

“I am enthusiastic, and I see progress on an individual level,” Hartman said. “People are sending their children to school, rebuilding homes, continuing businesses and starting new ones. There is an extraordinary amount of hope for the future.”

During their trip, they visited the site of Ecole de Choix, or the “School of Choice,” that Zafen and DePaul are involved in, which is scheduled to open in the Fall, according to Hartman.

To further benefit the progress that Zafen has made with the people of Haiti, all of the money raised the night of the event will be donated to Zafen. At the event, Garibay said there will be a silent auction, as well as a chocolate, wine and cheese tasting. At the event, there will also be volunteers that will be able to educate the attendees about Zafen and the Haitian culture.

In further celebration of the success, DePaul’s Vincentian Board for Haiti will be matching 100 percent of all loans to Haiti entrepreneurs contributed through Zafen from the beginning of the night of the event up into the week ending on April 7, according DePaul’s Haiti Initiatives website.

“I would encourage people to venture out for a truly fun evening and gain some perspective of their own power to improve a community so far away yet in so much need,” Garibay said.

For more information about “Taste for Zafen,” and to register for the event, visit the DePaul Haiti website.