5 films to see this holiday season

The holidays are the perfect time for friends, good food and spending a whopping $50 when you try and take your family on a nice outing to the movies. But with films as good as these coming out this holiday season, spending what feels like an arm and a leg on a ticket shouldn’t hurt as much as it usually does.

“The Good Dinosaur”

Nov. 26

This is Pixar’s newest movie –  does more need to be said? It explores the idea that the asteroid that made all dinosaurs extinct billions of years ago never happened and focuses on the unlikely friendship forged between a dinosaur and a young boy. If this is anything like Pixar’s usual movies (like the most recent “Inside Out”), we’ll probably all end up in tears by the end, but love every second of it.

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

Dec. 18

It’s been 10 years since the last “Star Wars” film graced its way onto the big screen and over 30 years since we last saw the likes of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker, and I think I speak for most fans when I say that I shed a tear or two whenever I see one of the new trailers. The best part? We still don’t even know what it’s about, and I hope it stays that way. Whatever opinion you may have on this series, you can’t deny that this new entry, and all of the anticipation surrounding it, will be something exciting, and I can’t wait to see what they come up with.

“Joy”

Dec. 25

David O. Russell reunites the cast of “Silver Linings Playbook” (Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, and Robert De Niro) to bring to light the true story of Joy, a single mother who struggles to balance her varying relationships with her family after creating her own successful business empire. With films like “The Fighter”, “American Hustle” and the adored “Silver Linings Playbook” under his belt, along with a stellar cast, there’s no question that Russell’s latest film will continue to charm audiences everywhere.

“The Hateful Eight”

Dec. 25

Quentin Tarantino’s eighth film follows eight deceptive strangers who take refuge in a stage coach Passover in the mountains during a blizzard. The film is being shown across the country in glorious 70mm film, which is way more beautiful than the standard format movies shown in nowadays. The script was actually leaked online back in 2013, angering Tarantino so much that he vowed to never make this movie, but I guess you can’t take anything he says very seriously. If this is anything like his usual gruesome, profane but hilariously exhilarating masterpieces,  it’ll be a sight to see.

“The Revenant”

Dec. 25

“The Revenant” is directed and co-written by Alejandro G. Iñárritu, who made last year’s Academy Award Best Picture winner “Birdman,” and stars the one-and-only Leonardo DiCaprio as a man who is left for dead in the woods by his companions and seeks out revenge on those who did him wrong.

The film is already receiving praise for being shot in chronological order as well as using only natural lighting. But it has also been the headline of quite a lot of controversy, with cast members complaining about poor treatment on set along with production going over schedule, but with a vision like Iñárritu’s and a star like DiCaprio, I would be shocked if it doesn’t end up being one of the best things we see this year, as well as something to root for at the Oscars. (Let’s at least give Leo that best actor award, okay Academy? He slept in animal carcasses for this movie. I mean, what more do you want from the man?) One can only dream.