Spring fashion picks

Spring is finally here and that means a change in weather, a change in classes and most importantly, a change in wardrobe. At last the time has come to put away the heavy winter coats and other cold-climate wear that nearly always finds a way to stifle your style. While this fashion season has been influenced by winter couture, it is still the season to welcome light color and even lighter fabrics back into your everyday attire. For both men and women, being fashionable is easier than ever with just a few updated essentials.

Winter fashion may have been all about texture, rich colors and elaborate patterns, but spring brings a simpler approach for womenswear. Minimalism is key with black, white and dusty gray being the most talked about color trend. As pieces in these colors are sure to be in most closets, it is an easy trend to stick to; however, it is important to keep the season in mind. Falling into winter fashion territory can be easy when styling black and gray pieces, especially for the daytime, but by choosing the right fabrics and details it is an easily avoidable problem.

Another winter staple is also sticking around this season. Leather is reinvented for the warmer months as leather shorts and skirts are popping up everywhere. There is nothing wrong with sporting classic black, but a colored leather piece is definitely worthy of some coveted closet space.

The muted color palette this season allows for other attention-grabbing details, one specifically being cutouts. Not only do cutouts mean less bulk perfect for the warmer months, but it is an easy trend to wear no matter your body type or comfort level. Cutouts can virtually be anywhere, so opting away from any midriff-baring or neckline-plunging items is no problem. For the more conservative, cutouts can be used as subtle, tasteful details on the shoulders and sleeves.

For the men, the general rule of spring 2013 applies the same as it does for the women: less is more. The best part about this spring is the emphasis on classics and for the guys, a great fitting blazer is a must. To give your look a more casual feel, pair it with shorts or choose one in navy, taupe or army green made from a lightweight fabric. Another timeless piece getting a slight makeover is the varsity jacket. The jacket’s classic silhouette is now primarily constructed from leather, making it a perfect piece for those unpredictable weather days.

Keeping with the classics, if any guy has yet to invest in a good pair of khakis, then now is definitely the time. Swapping out the denim for a pair of khakis can instantly make a look more sophisticated and put together. However, proper styling will always make or break an outfit, so steer away from the tees and choose a button down shirt instead to create a crisp, clean look.