Miguel Artera and Ed Helms talk ‘Cedar Rapids’

The DePaulia: Miguel, how did you end up choosing the script for this movie and deciding it was something you wanted to do? Miguel Artera: What I really want from a script is one that has fun with its characters but never crosses that line of making fun of its characters. It’s a tough line to ride, and this definitely had it. Phil Johnston, (the writer,) he definitely had such affection for the characters. The other thing was Ed Helms. I worked with him on “The Office” five years ago, and when I saw him in “The Hangover,” he had just really [given] such a thoughtful arc to the character. in such a broad movie. I came out of that movie saying, “I wish I could make an Ed Helms film”. lo and behold, three months later they called and said, “Do you want to read this.” I think he’s like Jack Lemmon; he’s something we haven’t seen in a long time. He can do a wholesome and everyday person, and have a comedic edge at the same time.

TD: Ed, going off that, your character is so na’ve in this. How hard is it to find that balance between being funny and not making fun of your character?

Ed Helms: Well, if I genuinely like a character and respect them, then I think that will come through no matter what the character’s going through, or how ridiculous and humiliating a scene might be for a character. Or how broad and silly it might be. As an actor, in bringing genuine affection to the performance, I think that comes through. I hope it does. That’s kind of my intention. I don’t particularly like comedy that’s rooted in ridicule. You know, I tread that line. I treaded that line on “The Daily Show,” and it was sort of an ongoing struggle for me. I’m enormously proud of the work I did on “The Daily Show,” but it was a sort of constant monitoring of, “Ok, am I being silly, or am I sort of getting into ridicule territory here.” I just always [thought] that what I found the most fun, and.what reaches the largest audience, is the comedy that starts with affection. Then you can have fun with it, and humiliate, and do ridiculous things, and never feel like you’re lampooning or enforcing a stereotype of making fun of a certain type of person or something.

TD: Miguel, there are some subversive elements to this film, as was the case with your last film, “Youth in Revolt.” In addition, you’ve done some darker stuff earlier in your career, between “Chick and Buck” and “The Good Girl,” to a certain extent. How do you find that balance between the comedy and the darker elements?

MA: I love that about making movies. Just, walking a tricky line. Those are the movies that excite me. When those things make more sense, I’m not as interested. Life is filled with contradictions. I always tell young filmmakers, “Please fill your script with contradictions. Please do not put the sense police through your film,” which is what the studios usually do. Part of that is something that’s not being afraid to go from something that’s funny to something that’s touching, or vice versa. Or just floating around, you know. I love it. Pedro Almodóvar is one of my favorite filmmakers; he will do that beautifully on a dime. You know, something you’re laughing at will make you cry. I really adore it. I think the most important thing is to tell your actors, never try to get a laugh, never try to get sympathy, and just be in the scene.

TD: Ed, this seems to be your first really high profile role project in a leading role. What is that responsibility like, versus being a supporting player in something or being part of an ensemble?

EH: It’s sort of true what they tell you in elementary school, there [are] no small parts, only small actors. You just sort of have to bring your ‘A game,’ no matter what the context is. When I started on “The Office,” I had this tiny, little, ancillary part. I treated like it was the starring role in a giant blockbuster. To me, that’s what it was. I try to bring that mentality to just about everything. So, in this context, even though this was a leading part, it still felt like we were just trying to get it done. It didn’t feel like. I don’t know, there is a responsibility, I guess, I felt a lot of responsibility on this movie.as someone who was creatively involved from the very beginning, just wanting it to be as great as it could be, and carry the sort of role as Executive Producer along with leading actor. It’s intense, but incredibly rewarding, and incredibly fun. Especially when you put a cast like this around you, it doesn’t feel scary. It’s just such an incredible crew.