Disney Archives exhibit opens at Museum of Science and Industry to much fanfare

On Wednesday, Disney celebrated its 90th anniversary, which would be as fitting a time as ever to unveil the newest exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry: a celebration of Chicago native Walt Disney and his ever-growing legacy.

The Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives features a more than 300-piece collection of Disney memorabilia from the past 90 years, some of which have never been viewed by the public eye. It reveals the innovation and creativity Disney put into his animations, theme parks and everything in between.

“We wanted to celebrate Disney and the innovations he shared with us,” David Woody, director of design and exhibition development for the museum, said. “It’s meant to showcase his success despite humble beginnings…to inspire others to do the same.”

The exhibit chronicles Disney’s career, using actual desks and tools he used, as well as animation cells, interactive videos and models to showcase every contribution he made and what is to come for the company.

Nicholas Vega, the manager of collections and exhibits for the Disney archive said, “We’re telling a story of progress… where Disney was, where we are now, and where we’re going.” He mentioned Disney’s recent acquiring of both Marvel and Lucasfilm, saying they’re trying to incorporate those as well.

In addition to showcasing Disney as an animator, the exhibit also leaves room to celebrate his creations. From Mickey Mouse, who made a special appearance at the opening, to the costumes of Disney’s live action films and the recent advances in the company’s 3D animation, the exhibit features a plethora of culturally significant items synonymous with the corporation. Notable items included the storybook used in the beginning of “Snow White,” Mary Poppins’ suitcase and umbrella and the awards presented to Disney.

It even features the multiplane camera Disney used to create depth in his features, a tool that has paved the way for the animation we see today.

Children who visit the exhibit will also get the chance to learn how to draw the characters Disney brought to life. Interactive tablets and sound booths reveal the animation process (both traditional and 3D), fitting into the science and industry the museum advertises.

“We want people to remember Disney as a man and an innovator. We’re here to showcase him and tell his great story,” Woody said.

The exhibit is a fitting homage to an animation and industry icon. It remains open until May 4.