What’s on your pumping-iron playlist?

March is almost upon us, signaling the end to many of our hazy, possibly alcohol-induced New Year’s resolutions. By this month, relentless dedication to the perfect body dwindles and many find themselves slipping back to their old habits of laziness.However, there are those who (gasp) exercise regularly and are in it for the long haul. Students, faculty and friends alike regularly pay homage to Ray Meyer and hit the ground (or treadmill) running and do so with the help of music.

A recent trip to the gym merited the following observation; almost everyone on the second floor of the Ray Meyer Fitness and Recreation Center had headphones in their ears.

Cardio machines have headphone outlets, allowing anyone to tune in to selected television or radio channels. The Ray provides music playing in the background of the facility as well.

Sarah Hardin, the associate director of facilities at DePaul University campus recreation, directly supervises the student building managers and other employees who select the music at the Ray.

“Our music provider is the company Muzak, which has a whole list of genres and music playlists to choose from [on satellite radio],” said Hardin. “We don’t select specific songs, but sign up for genres based on the description on the Muzak website.”

Music is typically used as a motivation tool or distraction when we are “sweatin’ to the oldies” or “jukin’ to a cold beat” (thanks Yeezy). It is rare to find patrons working out without a form of musical motivation to get them through that grueling 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. Cue the cardio mix.

Hardin continues, “Usually, several of our student employees collaborate on making the decisions for the month and they try for the most part to choose genres that sound upbeat and that would be good for keeping people motivated during a workout. The students try to pick music they think people will like. They also pay attention to input from people-for instance, if they have gotten a lot of complaints about a certain genre, they will avoid it in the future.”

Just ask senior Shirley Tang, the Ray Meyer building manager, who is one of the student employees that selects the music playing throughout the Ray.

“In the early morning, I usually like to choose stations that have a mix of upbeat songs as well as some mellow ones so patrons and employees can be energized but not overwhelmed. Late mornings are still a bit on the mellow side and as it gets later and busier, the music starts to get more upbeat,” said Tang. “The last two stations in the day are usually a pop, rock or hip-hop station. Typically students come in later in the day so we try to cater to what the crowd might enjoy.”

There have been instances where patrons complain about song selections or suggest different music options.

“I’ve witnessed people getting upset about Cher and Elton John songs which usually play in ’80s or ’90s hit playlists. Most of the time when we get complaints, it’s because people don’t want to work out to love songs,” Tang said. “On the other hand, we’ve had complaints about our music not being ‘soothing’ enough.”

Heather Hughes, a certified spinning instructor at the Ray since 1999 and certified personal trainer, says music is the backbone of her cycling classes.

“I definitely focus on utilizing music for motivation,” Hughes exclaimed. “Not only the type of music and the rhythm, but the movements I cue are completely in sync with the count of the music as well as matched to the chorus. My class anticipates when an intense section of our workout is approaching and the music gives them the extra push to work through.”

Hughes also explains why she selects certain music for cycling.

“The first reason is out of necessity: certain portions of a cycling class call for specific speeds of music. For example, a fast sprint will be best supported by a song with a quick rhythm while a steep hill requires music of a slower pace,” Hughes said. “Cycling is essentially an individual workout because everyone has their own bike and is in control of their own intensity. The music is what ties the class together and keeps us united.”

Exercisers rely on music to motivate them during work outs, to calm them afterwards and to match perfectly with cardio tempos to get their blood pumping. Gyms play songs throughout their facilities to encourage exercisers and to keep the attitude energized.

For some students, music genres are specifically chosen depending on the workout type. This may mean fast-paced, bass-thumping beats for bursts of cardio and more mellow music for cool downs.

Junior Alyssa Czerniak says she loves to listen to any type of music that takes her mind off the moment: “Certain songs get me pumped up, and when I run, help me keep my pace stable. It just depends on the workout for me.”

Conversely, there are gym rats who dare to be different without headphones, and embrace the burn full on.

“See, I’m just the opposite,” said junior Melissa Borda. “I really dislike having an iPod at the gym. I feel that it distracts me from what I’m doing. And although I can see the benefit of being distracted, I really like feeling my muscles ache-it reminds me of all the hard work I’m putting in and how all that hard work will pay off if I keep pushing myself.”

Whether you are devoted to your iPod at the gym, sans MP3 or head-banging to Ray tunes, music is more often than not present when exercising. Some would argue music is a necessity for working out, while others disagree and can sweat in focused silence. It is all up to one’s personal music preference.