USF’s inside presence knocks off men’s basketball 86-76

DePaul could not stop the running of the Bulls on Saturday afternoon, as USF easily handled the Blue Demons in an 86-76 win. Leading scorer Cleveland Melvin’s absence and a career-high 32 points from Augustus Gilchrist to lead a hot-shooting USF team handed the Blue Demons their third consecutive loss.

Melvin’s 14.3 points per game were sorely missed and his length made him even more needed on the defensive end of the court against a Bulls team that shot 57 percent from the field and 58 percent from three-point range. Three other players also scored in double-figures to help pace USF to their highest scoring output of the season.

“I thought USF’s inside strength was a bit too much,” head coach Oliver Purnell said, at times having such a lack of size that he had to resort to putting the 6-5 Jimmy Drew on Gilchrist. “The game needed to get up and down to negate their size advantage.”

DePaul, who had shot nearly 44 percent from behind the arc in their previous three games, couldn’t get in rhythm this game en route to a 6-of-23 game (26 percent) including 1-of-8 in the first half. Brandon Young led four Blue Demons in double-figures with 23 points and Moses Morgan chipped in with a career-high 16.

Young, who seemed to be more comfortable creating his own shots against USF, both pulling up and off the dribble, admitted that it was tough without Melvin on the floor.

“Without Cleveland, it was a big difference,” Young said.

Despite the size difference, DePaul was able to keep the points in the paint even at 36. Where the Blue Demons were killed inside was on the glass, only mustering 19 boards to USF’s 33. Forward Tony Freeland led the team with 7 while center Krys Faber only managed one rebound.

When asked about his opponent, USF head coach Stan Heath still had plenty of positive things to say about DePaul, particularly about who didn’t play.

“He [Melvin] has got my vote for Freshman of the Year,” Heath commented. He also would not admit to handling the Blue Demons as of late, even though the Bulls have won six straight in the series, saying “it’s been a dogfight.