Blue Demons push past Hoyas

No. 10/11 DePaul women’s basketball beat No. 18/18 Georgetown 82-57 on Sunday. The victory marks DePaul’s 18th straight win at McGrath-Phillips Arena, the 10th longest streak in the country. After a slow start, the Blue Demons were able to break through the Hoyas’ press and take the lead.

“Everybody plays a different style and [Georgetown’s] system is a really good, it’s a solid system,” said Head Coach Doug Bruno. “And I thought we were ready for it, but then we were tentative in the first half. We had seven turnovers the first half and we really, at that 6-6 point, we really could’ve probably broken it open a little bit sooner than that, but we were giving them the ball back. And I just thought our players had to feel their way through it and feel their way through the pressure.”

DePaul had six players finish in double figures, led by Sam Quigley with 14, followed by Keisha Hampton, Anna Martin, Taylor Pikes and Deirdre Naughton with 12. Katherine Harry had her third double-double of the season, eighth in her career, tallying 10 points and 12 rebounds.

“My teammates were there on the offensive end, too, making great passes. I don’t think I made a bucket without a pass first and that comes from our guards, that comes from our post making great passes, too,” Harry said. “Just rebounding, coach is always trying to emphasize how important defensive rebounding is and you’ll hear him talk about it all the time.I think I just wanted to get out there and get the rebounds that I could. Rebounding is a selfish statistic that coach will say is, it’s okay to be selfish about because you’re helping your team.”

While DePaul shot 53.7 percent and went 10 of 19 from the 3-point line, Georgetown shot only 30.2 percent, completing five of 24 3-pointers.

“DePaul’s a very good team. We knew that coming in,” said Georgetown Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy. “They did everything that we knew they would do.”

The Blue Demons next head on the road to face Louisville in the KFC Yum! Center on Wednesday.