DePaul Club Tennis rebounds at day 2 of USTA Tennis on Campus nationals

After a rough first day, DePaul rebounded substantially, winning both of its matches on Friday.

The Demons faced Stony Brook University and University of Delaware in Copper Bracket knock-out play.

In the round of 16, the squad took on the Stony Brook Seawolves. It was an easy match for the Demons, who only lost one game between men’s doubles and men’s and women’s singles. Women’s doubles came up short with a 6-2 loss and the mixed team fell in the tiebreak.

“After a rough first day it was important to come out and strong and win the match easily,” Jack Klein said, who did not drop a game en route to a singles win. “It set a positive tone for the day and the momentum carried us into the next match.”

In the quarterfinals, DePaul challenged the Delaware Blue Hens for a place in the semifinals. After men’s and women’s doubles, the score was tied at 10-10. Tim Worley, who played men’s singles for DePaul, overcame a former Delaware varsity player 6-4. Senior Andrea Kinnerk followed up Worley’s ambitious performance with a 6-5 win to put the Demons ahead by three points before the final mixed doubles match. The tandem of Klein and Kinnerk were nearly unstoppable along their way to a 6-3 win that clinched the match. Overall, the Demons beat the Blue Hens 28-21.

“I’m happy with how today went. Like I said yesterday, it was a more accurate representation of our skill level,” DePaul Club Tennis president Jon Mulvey said. “Tomorrow we face a tough team, but either way we’re guaranteed to do as well as we did three years ago.”

The Demons will face UC Santa Barbara in the Copper Bracket semifinals at 8 a.m.