From ‘Goodfellas’ to ‘Harry Potter,’ the most appetizing movie scenes

sandwich-feat

Here are the movies and scenes that have left us hungry for more.

“Chef”

If there is one movie that revolves entirely around food, one movie that will make your stomach growl, it’s Jon Favreau’s “Chef.” The man that brought you huge-budget epics like “Iron Man,” “Cowboys vs. Aliens” and the newly released “The Jungle Book,” brings the art of cooking and creating the finest food dishes to the big screen. It’s tacos, it’s grilled cheese, it’s ribs. “Chef” does for food what “Magic Mike” does for Channing Tatum’s abs. If there’s one film to not watch hungry, it’s “Chef.”

GoodfellasPasta“Goodfellas”

Only Martin Scorsese can direct a 3-minute monologue about a mafia gangster scraping together some pasta in prison. From the cutting of the garlic with razors, to the pan-cooked steaks — the entirety of the scene serves its overall purpose: even when they’re in prison, “wise guys” still eat well. The common prison films and scenes depict inmates sneaking in weapons or tools for escape, but these men are sneaking in bread, lobster and spices. That’s what makes “Goodfellas” so engaging; the fact that Henry Hill and his “wise guys” make being a gangster look so cool.

food_graphics-02“Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone”

It’s been over 15 years since its release, and watching the first Harry Potter film is undoubtedly a trip down memory lane.  As a kid — nearly the same age as Harry and trio in the film — watching Dumbledore address the tightly packed Hogwarts great hall with, “Let the feast begin!” lit up my eyes as if I were at the dinner table myself.  Watching chicken, turkey, pie and sweets magically appearing on their plates was every kid’s dream at home.  It’s an early scene in the film series that grabs the viewer and throws them in the joyous wizarding world that we have all come to know.

ReysBread“Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens

Much like “Harry Potter,” in a movie series surrounded by visual effects, elaborate costumes and makeup, one of the most impressive mesmerizing scenes from the newest Star Wars was when Rey made her instant portion bread. The scene lasts no longer than 15 seconds but it’s easily one of the most memorable shots of the entire film — and it was all done practically. The scene became so popular that the official Star Wars team prepared and posted the ingredients to make Rey’s portion bread.

milkshake“Pulp Fiction”

Much like what Martin Scorsese accomplished in “Goodfellas,” Quentin Tarantino replicates in “Pulp Fiction.” Besides possibly “There Will Be Blood,” no film has made a two person dialogue scene surrounding the topic of a milkshake so interesting. As John Travolta and Uma Thurman swing back and forth about their opinion on a $5 milkshake, Tarantino places the shake itself right in the frame of the camera — teasing the viewer, as if they’re able to grab it through the screen. It’s not the first scene of the film depicting a conversation revolving around food — as early in the film Samuel L. Jackson takes his first bite of the Big Kahuna burger before he kills his target.

food_graphics-01“Jiro Dreams of Sushi”

Before I watched this film, I am ashamed to say that I had never tried sushi in my life. One man convinced me: Jiro Ono — the 90-year-old master, a man solely known for being the greatest sushi craftsman alive. Like “Chef,” “Jiro Dreams of Sushi” invites the viewer into the art and history of food making, of cooks and cutterys. To the average viewer, an over hour-long documentary surrounding sushi might come off as unpleasant, or disengaging, but for me — a man who had never tried sushi before — I came out of the theater with not only a respect for Jiro but also a stomach craving some of what I had seen on the big screen.