Cannes film fest is all about the fashion

The Cannes film festival is technically about the movies, but the red carpet fashion gets as much buzz – if not more – than the film premieres. The glamorous setting of Cannes, France acts as a backdrop as the stars pose in their flowing, designer gowns and well-tailored suits. The event, which began May 15 and ran through May 26, premiered many of the year’s most anticipated films such as “The Great Gatsby,” “The Bling Ring” and “Blood Ties.” With films like these being shown, major star power was brought to the festival, as well as plenty of eye-catching fashion moments.

French beauty and star of “Blood Ties,” Marion Cotillard, wowed with her retro look. At the premiere of her film, Cotillard opted for a Christian Dior, strapless gown with an asymmetrical hem. The pleated dress is from Dior’s resort 2014 collection, and features bold yellow, black and blue stripes. Completing her chic, 1960s look were Chopard jewels and a voluminous beehive up-do.

All eyes were on Carey Mulligan as she promoted two films featured at Cannes, Baz Luhrmann’s “The Great Gatsby” and the Coen brothers’ “Inside Lleywn Davis.” Fortunately for Mulligan, both of her premiere looks were praised by fashion critics. First up was the “Gatsby” premiere where she chose a simple, pale pink Christian Dior gown with a plunging neckline. Due to the volume of the gown’s skirt, a lesser starlet could be overwhelmed by the dress, but Mulligan’s lack of accessories, in addition to her toned down hair and makeup, with the exception of a bold red lip, allowed her to pull off the sophisticated look with ease.  Chic sophistication is again the direction the actress went for the “Inside Llewyn Davis” premiere. There she wore a black and white Vionnet dress featuring a front slit and plunging v-neck, paired with black, peep-toe platform sandals by designer Brian Atwood.

Another must-see fashion moment on the Cannes red carpet also came at the “Inside Llewyn Davis” premiere. Jessica Biel, who was supporting husband Justin Timberlake, showed up in a tea-length, strapless Marchesa. The dress’ elaborate embroidery would be enough to turn heads, but the feather underskirt added that extra special something to make Biel’s look one not to miss.

Multiple candidate looks for “best dressed” came courtesy of Jennifer Lawrence as she donned numerous Dior ensembles while promoting “The Hunger Games” sequel titled “Catching Fire.” Milla Jovovich took a risk that paid off with a floral, black, white and red Chanel, while Jessica Chastain’s purple, beaded Givenchy gown accentuated her figure and complimented the actress’ fair complexion.

Not everyone in attendance showed up as put together as the ladies mentioned above, though, as there were a few major fashion missteps to be seen. At the Global Gift Gala, Eva Longoria wore a sheer black dress covered in black sequin circles that left little to the imagination. The star used the revealing dress as a response to the too-high slit in her green Atelier Versace gown causing her to accidently expose herself to photographers, and referred to the incident by tweeting “…no wardrobe malfunction tonight!!!” However, even if it made a statement, the dress itself was not the most flattering on Longoria. Also experiencing an unfortunate style moment was Julianne Moore. The actress and fashion plate, who counts Tom Ford as a close friend, is usually a red carpet highlight, but during the festival’s opening ceremony, Moore attended “The Great Gatsby” premiere in a pair of too-small heels that distracted from her Dior gown. While posing for photographers, the actress’ toes were squeezed out from the strappy shoes, which would have been an easy problem to hide if it was not for the asymmetrical hem of her lavender-skirted ensemble.

The fashion at this year’s Cannes Film Festival had all of the glitz and sparkle to be expected at such a high profile event, but even with all of the big names participating in the festivities, one guest managed to take some of the attention away from the film industry heavy-hitters by wearing an elaborate, architectural gown crafted out of an unexpected material: cookie tins.