Get the scoop on the best Lincoln Park and Lakeview ice cream

Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 1.07.13 PM
(Carolyn Duff / The DePaulia)

The countdown has begun for summer and as temperatures start rising, DePaul students and faculty start getting a taste for something cold and delicious. Although Chicago is typically known for its mouthwatering deep-dish pizza, ice-cream during the summer may rival the famous Midwest pizzerias.

One potential place to chow down on ice cream this summer is Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, which is located in the Southport Corridor. The ice cream restaurant is a hands-down winner for DePaul senior Paige Calace, who has made many trips to Jeni’s, and said the brown butter almond brittle in a homemade waffle cone is a must-try for anyone who loves a unique and refreshing treat.

DePaul sophomore Kira Latoszewski agreed that Jeni’s offers a great variety of delicious flavors.

“My favorite flavor is the salted peanut butter with chocolate flecks,” Latoszewski said. “I also appreciate the fact that Jeni’s stays away from using synthetic flavors or dyes when making their ice cream.”

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams opened its Southport location in September 2013.

Founded by professional ice-cream pioneer Jeni Britton Bauer, she has made it her mission for nearly two decades to create the perfect recipe.

Amy Merrick, a journalism instructor at DePaul, said her all-time favorite ice cream spot would have to be Bobtail Ice Cream Company.

She loves Bobtail because of their witty names like the “Daley addiction,” a fudge-swirl ice-cream that melts in your mouth. The atmosphere of Bobtail Ice Cream Company is another perk for Merrick

“It has a very cheerful atmosphere and I always leave in a good mood,” Merrick said.

Bobtail, the quirky, vintage-styled, ‘50s inspired ice-cream shop located in Lakeview is named after the handle on an old-fashioned soda machine. The iconic business has been a staple in the Lakeview neighborhood for nearly 11 years. The shop is unique because of the wide array of signature sodas and beverages they offer as a flagship store.

“My favorite flavor would have to be the signature sunrise — a creamy merlot base with dark chocolate chips sprinkled throughout,” Ryan Ouellette, a manager at Bobtail Ice Cream Company, said.

The ice cream shop offers weekly promotions that includes dollar-off shakes and malts on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

DePaul seniors Rachael Mayhew and Anthony Lewis, on the other hand, constantly crave Scooter’s Frozen Custard. Mayhew said it is her favorite place because they offer the banana cream pie ice-cream flavor, which is hard to find.

“They not only have flavors that you can’t find anywhere else in the city, but it’s also homemade,” Mayhew said about why she enjoys Scooter’s.

Besides the unique flavors, Lewis enjoys the fact that it is family owned and that they offer freshly made Wisconsin custard, which typically isn’t offered anymore.

The 13-year-old business, Scooter’s Frozen Custard, is located in Lakeview, and has close ties to DePaul. Employing six DePaul students currently, owner Denny Moore explained that because of the store’s popularity among DePaul and other college students, they have only had to spend $242 on advertising over the last 13 years of business.

Branching out from one’s preferences is an essential part of the college years and growing up. There is something to be said about trying new things and straying away from the ordinary. It is important to learn not to play it safe in this world. Try a different ice-cream shop or a new flavor. Life is too short to stick to the basic vanilla or chocolate lifestyle.