Off-campus adventures: Pilsen

As the year draws to a close and the weather improves every day, it’s time to get out and explore those Chicago neighborhoods you’ve been neglecting all year. Instead of your usual commute to the Loop or Wrigleyville, hop on the Pink Line and get off at 18th Street. From there, you can begin to experience Mexican culture in the neighborhood of Pilsen.

First, start the day with a trip to the National Museum of Mexican Art, located at 1852 W. 19th St. Admission is free, and the museum offers a variety of Mexican art, ranging from ancient pieces that depict the life of Mesoamericans to photographs of Mexican families to handmade, colorful works to more modern art. Current exhibits include “Santa Ana Condition: John Valadez,” “Puertas Abiertas (Open Doors)” and “Chaz Bojórquez: From the Streets to the Cloud.” The museum’s pieces vary from folk art, paintings, sculptures, illustrations and textiles to photography and pieces from the historical Chicano movement. An exclusive upcoming event will show the works by Chaz Bojórquez, a man from Los Angeles who utilizes the graffiti he saw growing up during the Civil Rights era to express the Mexican-American experience. The event will take place Thursday, May 16 at 6 p.m.

After spending some time discovering Mexican culture through art, your stomach is sure to be growling. Pilsen has a multitude of delicious Mexican restaurants, but Taqueria El Milagro at 1923 S. Blue Island Ave. (a short walk from the 18th “L” stop) and Los Comales at 1544 W. 18th St. are great options. Both offer extensive menus of authentic Mexican food in large portions at very reasonable prices. The food will surely keep both you and your wallet full.

When you’ve had your fill of lunch, head to Panaderia El Acambaro, at 1720 W. 18th St. There you will find the best Mexican pastries: breads, tres leches cake, cookies and more. The array of breads and other sweets in this tiny, but neat, bakery will satisfy your sweet tooth and will only cost you about $1 each.

After dessert, it’s time to explore the neighborhood. Pilsen has a rich history of immigrants and an abundance of culture as a result. First inhabited by the Germans and Irish, the Czech took over the area in the 1800’s, naming Pilsen after a town in the Czech Republic. Many other Europeans called Pilsen home as well, but in the mid-1900s, the neighborhood received Latinos in great numbers. Today, the Latino and Mexican culture is very much alive with beautiful and bright murals painted on buildings, which offer positive messages advocating for social change. The many bakeries, shops and restaurants also show the mark of the Latino presence.

Next time you’re avoiding homework on the weekend or are simply craving some tasty Mexican food, head to Pilsen and enjoy a neighborhood rich with culture.