You’re here for who? Towkio, Saba, Skepta

We did the homework so you don’t have to. Check back each week for the scoop on bands you can’t miss at Pitchfork, Lollapalooza, North Coast and Riot Fest this year.

1147653_232163633597767_174524437_o
(Photo courtesy of TOWKIO)

Towkio

Preston Oshita, better known by his stage name Towkio, is a Chicago-native rapper full of talent and ambition. He first hit the hip-hop scene in 2012 with his debut EP “Community Service,” and followed it up with his sophomore EP “Hot Chips n Chop Stix” in 2014.

His big break came in 2015 when he released his first mix tape entitled “.Wav Theory,” which features appearances by Chance the Rapper, Donnie Trumpet and Vic Mensa. One of the tracks from the mix tape, “Heaven Only Knows,” was named song of the week in 2015 by Stereogum.

In that same year, online hip-hop news and criticism magazine “HipHopDX” named Towkio one of their top eight rising stars of 2015.

10620472_730441573742346_6557841738065380113_o
(Photo courtesy of SABA)

Saba

Tahj Chandler was born and raised in Chicago and into a long line of musical talent. He got his musical start at the age of seven when his father taught him how to play the piano. Since then, he has adopted the stage name Saba and has made a huge splash in the hip-hop scene.

He released his first mix tape in 2012, titled “GETCOMFORTable,” which featured production from DJ Such n Such, who has worked closely with Chance the Rapper and Young 99. In 2013, Saba landed a feature verse alongside fellow Windy City talent Chance the Rapper and BJ the Chicago Kid on the critically acclaimed song “Everybody’s Something” by Acid Rap. The following year he released his sophomore mix tape “Comfort Zone.”

DJ Booth named Saba’s “Burnout” as the song with the best hook of the year, and months later Billboard went on record and said, “Saba is up next.”

995940_521696534551273_2049906769_n
(Photo courtesy of SKEPTA)

Skepta

The most veteran of these artists is Joseph Adenuga Jr., more popularly known as Skepta. A British-born rapper and producer, Skepta has been in the business since 2003 when he began producing tracks for some of his friends. When his group “Meridian Crew” split in 2005, Skepta realized that he aspired to be a rapper as well as a producer.

He dropped his debut album “Greatest Hits” in 2007. His first two singles off of the album reached the Hot 100 on the UK Singles Chart. Since then, Skepta has released three more studio albums and five mix tapes, while earning himself two songs in the UK Top 40.

In 2014, he landed a feature verse alongside worldwide phenomenon Drake on a song titled “Ojuelegba” by WizKid. In the same year, he appeared a few times as an opening act for none other than Kanye West, and was named one of GQ’s best-dressed Englishmen.