Eric Scott Anthony and ‘Buddy Holly’ rock Chicago

This June, Chicago is in for a treat. “Buddy-the Buddy Holly Story” is coming to the Cadillac Palace Theatre and bringing a unique combination of music and theatricality with it. The DePaulia had the privilege to speak with actor Eric Scott Anthony, who plays Holly’s music producer, Norman Petty, in the show.

“The Buddy Holly Show” chronicles the career of the famous musician in what Anthony describes as a “mix of a musical theater piece and a rock ‘n’ roll concert.” Musical theater is a common endeavor in Chicago, though this show’s unique culmination of a concert and a stage production is rare.

Anthony is enthralled with the show and its protagonist.

“Buddy was instrumental in refining the sound of rock ‘n’ roll in the late 1950’s,” Anthony said. “It’s truly a remarkable story as well as remarkable music. You actually spend an evening where you feel like now you know Buddy Holly.”

He is equally intrigued by the character of Norm Petty who, as Anthony described, “sent his music into the world.”

“He was a genius,” Anthony said. “He was quite innovative when it came to recording technology. He created an echo chamber in his attic.”

While the production exposes its audience to full portraits of fascinating characters, its musicality shines.

“The music is the centerpiece of the show,” Anthony said. “We play more than 20 tunes and we showcase all of the big Buddy Holly hits and of course the show culminates in the fateful concert at Surf Ballroom ‒ it’s a concert. It’s about a 40-minute rock ‘n’ roll show that takes place at the very end of Act Two.”

Though the show gleams with poignancy, Anthony reminds his audience to have an excellent time.

“Get ready to ignore some of the rules of audience etiquette,” Anthony said, laughing. “For this show, you need to clap your hands and stomp your feet and get up and dance.”

Performance plays a deep and dynamic roll in Anthony’s life. He loves theater, though he absolutely thrives on the music that accompanies it.

“Artists like Buddy Holly and Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley have always been at the top of my list,” Anthony said. “I think that’s probably why I’ve been drawn towards pieces like ‘Ring of Fire’ and ‘The Buddy Holly Show.’ I think that the driving force in my career has always been music. Of course musical theater ‒ and theater ‒ and performance in general is what I sort of itch to do but it is, in fact, the music that brought me to that. That’s why this is such a terrific show for me.”

Anthony’s background is vast, though, and when asked for acting advice, he chuckled.

“I would never seek myself out for advice,” Anthony said, humbly.

“Know yourself,” Anthony said. “That was one of the hurdles for me ‒ really knowing what I wanted and finding a focus for my ambition.”

Anthony’s insight and talent are a driving force behind “The Buddy Holly Story,” and, soon, it will light up Chicago with its music and energy.

As Anthony advises, “make sure you’re ready to get up and dance in the aisles.”

“Buddy-The Buddy Holly Show” will be at the Cadillac Palace Theatre from June 18-30.