Foo Fighters ‘Rope’ Another Hit, Highly Anticipated Album

In the early hours of Feb. 23, Foo Fighters premiered the first single, the high-octane and intense “Rope,” off their album “Wasting Light” (due out on April 12). I’m so glad they are back. It’s been four years since their last album and tour. “Rope” is a fine first single. (Technically, “White Limo” is the first song released from the album.) I was sold on the riff in the beginning, but throw in some frantic drums and a catchy chorus for the ages (“Gimme some rope/ I’m coming loose/ I’m hanging on you”), and you’ve got a great song. There are rumors that Foo Fighters are playing at Lollapalooza. To hear that riff on Grohl’s guitar out in Grant Park (along with thousands chanting the chorus) would be a dream come true.

I’m not the only one that’s in awe of “Rope”: the song has debuted at number one on Billboard’s Rock Songs chart and has received significant airplay on Q101 and Radio DePaul.

“Rope” seems like a throwback to the energetic hard garage sound that Dave Grohl was at the forefront of during the post-grunge days of rock ‘n’ roll. There is that loud and raw intensity that they usually deliver with each record.

“Wasting Light” is produced by Butch Vig, the man behind Nevermind and also the upcoming new album from Garbage. Foo Fighters has been a mainstay in music since their debut album in 1995. “They are one of the few rock bands out there that stick to what they know sounds good, and I like that about them,” said Katie Polovino. She plans to attend this summer’s Lollapalooza if they are performing.

“Rope” is much better than their previous release, “Wheels,” which came out in 2009, back when there was speculation that Foo Fighters would no longer be recording material. I began to worry. You can’t end a career with a song like “Wheels.” It sounded too much like a B-side that would accompany “Rope” if they still sold CD singles (remember those?!). We don’t need another rock ‘n’ roll band to split up. We need Foo Fighters around for a little while longer.