DePaul celebrates Vinny Fest 2016

al_vinny-copy
Graphic by Kaitlin Tamosiunas

What was looking to be a cloudy gray Friday afternoon turned sunny as students and faculty gathered in the quad to celebrate this year’s annual Vinny Fest.  The festive carnival event is in honor of St. Vincent de Paul’s feast day, which takes place on Sept.27.  Feast days come from an early Christian custom of commemorating a saint on the annual date of their death, or birth into heaven.

A swarm of students flocked from desk to desk at the festival, learning not only about various Vincentian clubs and organizations on campus but also learning a great deal of history about the saint their university is named after.

img_7500
On a humid and gloomy afternoon, students fill the quad for Vinny Fest to celebrate St. Vincent de Paul’s feast day, which is on Sept. 27. (Deni Kamper/The DePaulia)

From exploring the compassion, humility, generosity and other Vincentian values that make up this school to learning about the French Catholic priests of which they’re derived from, the festival itself not only proved to be an exciting and fun getaway for students on campus but also an insight into DePaul University’s active role in the community.

Juan Pablo Oscasio and Mark Burghard of DePaul Ministry's choir serenade the crowd with their improv ode to St. Vincent DePaul. (Deni Kamper/The DePaulia)
Juan Pablo Oscasio and Mark Burghard of DePaul Ministry’s choir serenade the crowd with their improv ode to St. Vincent DePaul. (Deni Kamper/The DePaulia)

The two-hour festival was packed full of games, food, treats and even a harnessed giant trampoline that caught the eye of every new freshman strolling through the quad.

One of the most popular tables was run by two students from the campus ministry’s choir ensemble. One with an acoustic guitar, the other with a banana as a microphone, the two would have students write down 12 words that praise Vinny, where they would turn those words into a musical ode to the saint.

Students learn about the history and values of St. Vincent DePaul. (Deni Kamper/The DePaulia)

Other stations had miniature golf games, soccer balls and even Vinny himself playing Twister with students, all celebrating the values and history that St. Vincent de Paul embedded in this school.

img_7451
(Deni Kamper/The DePaulia)