DePaul crushes Pittsburgh 4-0 in Big East matchup

In just a five-minute span, the DePaul women’s soccer team showed how well they can play with an unrelenting attack and determined mindset.

Led by two goals apiece from forwards Ashleigh Goddard and Elise Wyatt, the Blue Demons dominated the Pittsburgh Panthers with a 4-0 win Sunday at Wish Field.

DePaul’s three-goal offensive flurry was sparked just 10 minutes after the second half kicked off.

Goddard’s first goal came way of assists from midfielders Rebekah Roller and Brianna Ryce. Roller served a corner kick towards goal, finding Ryce glancing towards goal. The ball bounced to Goddard, who headed it in from her spot far post.

“I just saw the keeper in the corner of my eye and jumped as high as I could,” said Goddard. “I outjumped her hands and it went in.”

Wyatt followed up Goddard’s opening goal with one of her own just three minutes later, the first of her collegiate career.

“It was an adrenaline rush after Ash scored the first goal,” said Wyatt. “We just needed that little boost. After that it was basically a blur — it was a lot of fun.”

The freshman found the back of the net a mere 49 seconds later, finding space in the midst of a confused Panther backline for her second goal of the match. Assisted by Natasa Radosavljevic, Wyatt took her time and served a well-placed shot past the keeper.

The five-minute stretch of three DePaul goals was an exciting sequence to break up the monotony of the first half, which dragged on thanks to midfield play that disallowed any serious attacking chances for either side.

“I was hopeful it wasn’t going to be one of those games where we generate a lot of chances but weren’t able to capitalize,” said head coach Erin Chastain. “I think our team came out with the exact right game plan and mentality in the second half — we really just had that extra edge in the attacking third and scored just some great goals.”

The final goal of the match arrived in the 71st minute, with Goddard bookending the scoring with her third goal of the season. Once the fourth goal was scored, Goddard said the team “relaxed and controlled the match.”

DePaul (7-4-1, 2-1-0 Big East) outshot Pitt 23-6 on the match, holding an emphatic 14-3 advantage in shots on goal. Roller continued to be a force at midfield, drawing a number of fouls for free kick opportunities, as well as creating havoc around the area that spread Pitt’s vulnerable defense.

“I really felt like we dominated the game from the get-go and so I think it was just getting that first goal to where Pittsburgh was going to feel like it was out of reach,” said Chastain.

“I think the whole group played well and that’s what it’s about — everybody stepping up at the start of the game and saying ‘I’m gonna be my best today.'”

Goddard agreed and is already looking forward to the upcoming conference slate.

“I feel like we dominated the whole game. It was a long time coming — we needed a game like that,” said Goddard. “This really boosts our confidence for the next few games, too.”