Summer required reading list

DePaul students do plenty of reading, but between assigned chapters, research assignments and articles from D2L, reading for pleasure can be rare. With the end of spring quarter in sight, English majors and business students alike can set aside textbooks in favor of their own personal favorites.

Kenji Negi, a DePaul senior international studies student, suggests “Kafka on the Shore.” Released in English in 2005, this work from Japanese author Haruki Murakami weaves together two fantastical narratives. One is of a young Kafka’s quest to find his mother and sister, the other of an old man with an uncanny ability to find lost cats.

“This riddle-packed story bordering on surrealism and realism will leave you wanting for more of Murakami’s novels,” said Negi.

Anna Mueller, a junior marketing student, recommends a piece of creative non-fiction help to pass the summer.

“One of my all time favorites is ‘The Glass Castle’ by Jeannette Walls,” said Mueller. “It’s a beautifully written memoir and a very quick read … While her story is often very sad, she writes about it as if it were a big adventure and that’s what makes it such a good read.”

“The Glass Castle” tells the story of the author’s unconventional upbringing and the eccentric parents that loom large in her life.

The follow-up to “The Glass Castle” – titled “Half Broke Horses” – was published in 2009, and tells her grandmother’s life story.

“Catch-22” by Joseph Heller is DePaul sophomore writing, rhetoric and discourse student Patrick Humphal’s pick for this summer.

“It is one of my favorite books of all time. It is a hilarious satire and provides a really intriguing insight into war. No matter how many times I read it, it never fails to have me laughing hysterically while also engaging me in some deeper thinking! That’s the best of both worlds I’d say,” said Humphal.

The Modern Library agrees, with “Catch-22” coming in at No. 7 on their list of “100 Best Novels” in the English language.

DePaul freshman Lauren Garza has a strategy for summer reading.

“When I choose a book to read during the summer, I try to pick something from a different genre that I haven’t quite touched on before,” said Garza.

She found her pick for the summer after seeing a quote on Facebook that caught her eye.

She did a quick search and found the quote was from a book of essays on Christianity called “Your Life in Christ” by George McDonald.

“I was hooked instantly and did not hesitate to find it on Amazon and get it shipped to my house,” said Garza.

Looking for something new? DePaul librarian Scott Walter is looking forward to the release of Neil Gaiman’s “The Ocean at the End of the Lane” June 18.

“I always make time for Gaiman, whose work I have followed since his days writing “The Sandman” for DC Comics,” said Walter. “Gaiman has written excellent books for young adults in recent years, including the award-winning “The Graveyard Book,” but this is his first novel aimed at adults in almost a decade.”

“The Ocean at the End of the Lane” explores memory and tragedy in a small English town. Although meant for adults, the novel is narrated by a seven-year- old boy. Gaiman has called it his most personal novel yet.

“Gaiman is also a well-known advocate for libraries and librarians, and so is a favorite in the profession,” said Walter. “We’ll look forward to seeing DePaul readers in the library looking for his work this summer.”