Goodbye ‘Bored to Death,’ hello, ‘Mad Men’

Just as the seasons change, so do network television shows and this means farewell to some of our most beloved (and definitely most hated) television shows, and ‘howdy’ to the new or returning ones that you don’t want to miss.

If you’re in the mood for some schadenfreude (and let’s face it, we all are) then “American Idol” season 11, is the show for you. Although we can appreciate the talented, it’s always a pleasure watching those who, well, suck. Earsplitting performances, ridiculous getups, and tragic personalities are all characteristics of those who believe that they will become the next “American Idol.”

Too bad some of them can’t hear their own voices.

What’s the show on NBC that makes you laugh until you cry? That’s right, “30 Rock” is back with season six and you’re bound to laugh your…bottom…off, once again.

It’s hard not to tune in with lines like: “Good God Lemon, your breath. When did you find time to eat a diaper that you found on the beach?” (Jack Donaghy played by Alec Baldwin) and “I wanna roll my eyes right now, but the doctor said if I keep doing it my ocular muscles might spasm and eject my eyeballs” (Liz Lemon played by Tina Fey.)

“Mad Men” season five debuts March 25, so save the date and get ready for some Golden Globe Award-winning drama. Take a seat and allow yourself to be transported back into the 60’s; a time when smoking, adultery, sexism and racism were still highly prevalent.

The new season should bring in answers to questions we’ve all been asking ourselves. Plus, fans want to know what’s to come of lead character Don Draper and his new fiancé. Women love to hate him while men envy him.

Time to break in… to a new show called “Alcatraz,” of course. The conspiracy thriller involving dead inmates features the famous federal prison located on an island in the San Francisco Bay.

According to the trailer, Alcatraz was closed off March 21, 1963. All the prisoners were transferred off the island, only that’s not what happened, not at all. If you love crime and mystery shows, “Alcatraz” will fulfill your television needs.

MTV has a new show on its way in February (because we’re all sick of Jersey Shore by now) with a pretty out of the ordinary name. “I Just Want My Pants Back” is about a twenty-something-year-old living in Brooklyn, who puts going out to bars before his mediocre job. Seems like a relatable subject for some students, so maybe watching the show will give you some tips on what not to do with your life.

For anyone interested in the modeling industry, “Remodeled” is a show that’s like “America’s Next Top Model” meets “Extreme Makeover.” Paul Fisher, modeling agent, travels to small agencies that are on the verge of shutting down and helps rebuild their overall look, status and clientele. And yes, his gloomy assistant has fangs.

Now there is a modern version of the types of shows we watched when we were five. Watch out for “Napoleon Dynamite” on FOX because let’s face it, not only did the movie make us chuckle, but we still love to watch cartoons.

It’s a good thing that most of the shows we love to watch are on basic television networks because we all know that when it comes to living on a student budget, cable is a luxury.