DePaul’s Office of Adult, Veteran and Commuter Student Services hosts relaxation group

Outlets can be helpful, especially for a busy college student, and DePaul does a good job taking care of its students. One of the best methods to wind down is a weekly meditation and relaxation session in the Loop Campus chapel in the Lewis Center, hosted by DePaul’s Office of Adult, Veteran and Commuter Student Services.

The chapel is a perfect place to have such an event; it’s quiet, and there is a feeling of serenity inside. Extraneous sounds are muffled or inaudible. The lights are soft and the chairs comfortable, making mindfulness achieved through meditation somewhat easier. The room was silent for a while with no one else inside.

Three more people showed up, as did our facilitator, Erin. Despite a minor delay in starting the session, she took the reigns and began. She told us that she interns at the Health and Wellness Center and has been training to lead a meditation session for some time now. Erin hopes to host a meditation session at the Lincoln Park campus as well.

We gathered in a circle, and she led us through the meditation. We practiced deep breathing, becoming aware of our bodies, noticing where they hurt or held tension. That lasted about fifteen minutes. We talked for a time afterward, and Erin explained her hopes for starting sessions in Lincoln Park and why she believes meditation is important, especially for stressed students.

Taking study breaks has been a subject of discussion, and many generally agree upon its importance. Clearing the mind for a while allows rejuvenation, emptying negative thoughts or energy, leaving room for new ideas and energy. This should be made available to all students; hopefully Erin is successful in her endeavors.

The meditation and relaxation session takes place every Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. in the Lewis Center Chapel.