Search is on for new assistant

With long time assistant coach Bart Brooks getting the women’s head coaching job at Belmont University, the DePaul women’s team now has a new opening.  When looking for a new hire, head coach Doug Bruno takes a similar approach to when recruiting players.

“I pride myself on having a great staff,” Bruno said. “I can’t thank my staff enough … I really believe one of the most important keys to developing a great basketball team is having team chemistry and I don’t think you can have team chemistry without first having staff chemistry, so we are looking for someone who is going to help us have that staff chemistry … I’m looking for people with high character, great teammates, unselfish, just like we want our players, ultra-competitive, hard workers.”

Bruno said to ensure this, it is important he knows the new person extremely well.

“It is really important that I have a working knowledge of the human being either through having worked with them before or know someone I’m really close to who has worked with them before,” Bruno said.

Bruno also explained this could be the last piece to push the program to new heights.

“The staff we’re putting together has one good, sustained run, I believe, in us to take this program to the next level,” Bruno said.  “We’ve become one of only six schools in the country to go to 15 [NCAA tournaments] straight.  We’ve been to the Sweet Sixteen.  So, the next level for us is Elite Eight, Final Four, national championship game, national championship.  And that’s what this last run is all about and that’s why this hire is going to be a huge hire.”