You’re here for who?: London Grammar, Ween, Gogol Bordello

We did the homework so you don’t have to. Check back each week for the scoop on bands you can’t miss at Pitchfork, Lollapalooza, North Coast and Riot Fest.

LONDON GRAMMAR

Aug. 6

Playing on Sunday at Lollapalooza this year, London Grammar will certainly be one of the most anticipated pop performers of the summer music festival.  The British trio comprised of Hannah Reid, Dan Rothman and Dominic ‘Dot’ Major, has rose to fame over the years for their melancholy and ambient sound.  The trio just recently released their new singles “Big Picture” and “Rooting For You,” their latest new music since their debut album in 2013.

And while the band’s output of new music is rather slow, their latest singles feel far from rushed and hint a new EP or album dropping soon (probably before Lollapalooza).  Whether you see London Grammar this summer or not, there’s no doubt this won’t be their last appearance at Chicago’s largest music festival.

WEEN

Sept 3

If you’re a big fan of alternative rock, there’s no doubt you’ve at least heard of Ween – the American alternative rock band formed by childhood friends Aaron Freeman and Mickey Melchiondo in 1984.  Better known by their stage names Gene Ween and Dean Ween, the two artists have kept a steady career going for 28 years until Freeman departed from the band in 2012 to focus on alcohol addiction issues.

Only a few years down the road did Ween announce a reunion tour to start in February of 2016, a tour that would ultimately become so successful that the band announced future dates and festival appearances late into 2017.

GOGOL BORDELLO

Sept 15-17

If Gypsy punk isn’t an acquired genre, I don’t know what is.  And even if you may not have heard any Gypsy punk bands perform before, American band Gogol Bordello is the place to start.  Performing at Riot Fest this year, the band’s accordion and violin sound mixed with punk style tunes makes Gogol Bordello one of the more unique sounding bands at the festival.

From Pitchfork to Lollapalooza and now Riot Fest, Gogol Bordello is far from new with their performances in Chicago, and the band is certainly worth checking out at the rock festival this summer.