DePaul commencement speakers announced day before ceremonies

One day before DePaul’s commencement ceremonies, the university officially announced commencement speakers Friday afternoon with two notable Chicago names.

Thomas J. Pritzker will speak at the Driehaus College of Business’ ceremony. Pritzker is the executive chairman of the Hyatt Hotels Corporation, CEO and president of The Pritzker Organization, and chairman of The Marmon Group. Considered one of the most successful businessmen, Pritzker is also known for his philanthropy work through The Pritzker Foundation, supporting urban education, art and culture, and health and fitness organizations. Those even vaguely familiar with Chicago may recognize the name from the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park.

Riccardo Muti, music director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, will speak at the ceremony for The Theatre School and the School of Music. A prominent name in the music world, Muti will also receive an honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters.

Three of the commencement ceremonies will be held June 15 at The Rosemont Theatre, while the other three will take place on June 16 in the Skyline Ballroom at McCormick Place. This is the first year of new commencement locations for the university with ceremonies previously held at Allstate Arena and the Civic Opera House. Each ceremony will also feature a student speaker from the respective college.

The other speakers include: Carlotta Walls LaNier, a civil rights pioneer, for the College of Education; MichaÃlle Jean, a stateswoman and journalist, for the School for New Learning; Eboo Patel, an author and interfaith leader, for The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and the College of Science and Health; and Steve James, a filmmaker and producer, for the College of Communication and the College of Computing and Digital Media.