St.Vincent’s DeJamz

Sabrina Miresse, Staff Writer

Week three of winter quarter is down, only seven more to go! Did you read that with enthusiasm? I thought not. Winter quarter can leave students feeling drab and ready to curl into bed to take a nap. It’s hard to find motivation or inspiration in this weather when things start to take on a gray color and salt from the street keeps finding its way into your house. Here’s some songs to keep you going this winter quarter:

1. “Movement” – LCD Soundsystem

“It’s like a movement from a small place to a bigger city,” the opening line of this track is inspiring in itself. Like many of us here at DePaul, we moved from a small town to the bigger city to follow our passions. Winter quarter can leave students feeling a lack of inspiration. There’s no better song to get you up and moving than this one. As a band known for their electronic rock music, anything from them will get you ready to conquer the school week.

2. “Bad Girls” – M.I.A

British rapper Mathangi Arulpragasam (M.I.A.) released this track in 2013 on her album “Matangi.” The song is very high energy and does a great job in showcasing her Sri Lankan roots while also incorporating modern hip hop beats. Known mostly for her song “Paper Planes,” M.I.A. doesn’t disappoint with this empowering song. A great song to do your makeup to in the morning or workout to after a long day of classes.

3. “May I Have This Dance (Remix)” – Francis and the Lights ft. Chance the Rapper

Francis and the Lights is an extremely bright, charismatic soul. He produces and performs his music with a jump in his step and motion throughout his body. This remixed single was released in May 2017, about a year after the original song was released. The louder tunes and solo from Chance the Rapper on this version really amp the song up. Listening to this on the way to class will keep your attitude positive—even in this weather.

4. “Everything Now” – Arcade Fire

From the band’s latest album, “Everything Now” is the intro track that captures the overall message. Lead singer Win Butler told Spotify that the track is about “trying to capture some of the experiences of being alive now in all its flaws and all its glory.” This mentality speaks to the beauty and light of being in the present. This song is a good reminder to be mindful and thankful for being in Chicago, chasing your dreams.