Six students robbed at gun point near Lincoln Park campus

Benjamin Conboy, News Editor

Six DePaul students were robbed at gunpoint within 30 minutes of each other near the Lincoln Park campus. In the early hours of Thursday, Jan. 24, men, armed with handguns and wearing surgical masks, jumped out of a white Audi SUV, put guns to the heads of the students and demanded their wallets and cell phones.

Two of the robberies occured on Sheffield Avenue, between 12:15 a.m. and 12:30 a.m., and another on the 1600 block of West Armitage Avenue sometime between 12:05 a.m. and 12:30 a.m., according to a Chicago Police Department (CPD) community alert.

Another robbery, which CPD believes was perpetrated by the same group of men, occurred later that night on the Near West Side.

Isabella Eleuterius, one of the first students to be robbed that night, was walking back to the dorms with 3 of her friends after a trip to 7-Eleven. When they were near Roy’s Furniture on Sheffield Avenue, she said three of the men hopped out of the Audi, brandishing firearms.

When one of the men reached into Eleuterius’ pocket to get her cell phone, she instinctively elbowed one of them.

The approximate area where Eleuterius and her friends were robbed on Thursday.
(Photo courtesy of Google)

“In my opinion, if they were ever going to shoot us at all, it would have been then,” Eleuterius said. “Or, at least (they would have shot) me then.”

While the incident may have been jarring, Eleuterius kept her cool.

“There was a lot of adrenaline going at the time, so I wasn’t too scared,” she said. “It was not the most dangerous situation I’ve ever been in.”

Eleuterius said that CPD was nothing but helpful and compassionate to them. When Public Safety took their statements and subsequently sent out a crime alert, they released information that had incorrectly stated the location of one of the crimes, the time of Eleuterius’ robbery and said that there was only one weapon when all of the men were armed.

“In the aftermath of this concerning sequence of incidents, DePaul’s Public Safety continues with the Chicago Police Department 18th District and Area Central Detective Division to make our neighborhood safer,” DePaul said in a statement.

The robbery marks the first time a DePaul student has been robbed at gunpoint since February 2016, when a student was robbed at an ATM in the Loop campus.

Alderman Michele Smith said in a statement that she has requested an increased police presence in her ward.

“People should always make sure to be aware of their surroundings around here,” Eleuterius said.

2 Responses to “Six students robbed at gun point near Lincoln Park campus”

1. Miraclespellhome@yahoo.com on June 12th, 2018 5:25 am

I was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously came Across Dr Miracle, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM) I Explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after receiving his Herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Miracle,that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS,LOW SPERM COUNT,ALS,ANCE PIMPUS,LUPUS VIRUS,You Can “CONTACT Via : Email : (MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM) You Can Contact Him Today And Get Your Problem Solved Or”Whats-app +23408071398555,)))

2. Zain on June 21st, 2018 5:31 am

I used to suffer from HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS for about 3 years. No medications or treatments ever really did anything for me (i tried them all no one work. but I was actually able to completely cure HERPES naturally after countless hours of online research. What worked for me is as follows: I saw Dr CAMALA Information online that he normally cure and treat disease and infirmities with his Herbal Medicine, I never really believed the people who where recommending him thou i saw on blog about 6 people where also testifying on how they were cured by Dr CAMALA, and still Ellen recommend Dr CAMALA who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly.Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, . if you are infected with any disease like HIV,AIDS, CANCER,HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, or any other disease you can also be happy like me by contacting…..
    Name: Dr.CAMALA
    Email him: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com
    What apps Number: +2349055637784
    I“m given you 100% grantee, soon as you have getting in touch
    with Dr.CAMALA your problems will be solved accurately.
    Thanks..

• Six students robbed at gun point near Lincoln Park campus

Student groups demand apology after professor’s ‘Islamophobic’ article

New details emerge about DePaul alum’s role in Russia investigation

Dax Program utilizes housing-first model to uplift in-need DePaul students

Students question Title IX office’s accessibility and conduct

DePaul students demand sustainability plan

Take Back the Night extends support to sexual violence survivors, highlights institutional shortcomings

Metro

Obama Foundation draws high-dollar, international donations

Metro

Chicago prosecutor to start erasing pot convictions soon

Metro

Living off campus in Chicago can mean contending with faulty heaters, carbon monoxide leaks and bad landlords

DePaul embraces the beauty of natural hair